2005 Pathfinder Engine replacement????

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jbane26

2005 Pathfinder Engine replacement????

Postby Jbane26 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 pm

New to the forums. I have a question about repairs that are needed for my pathfinder. I dropped a bolt in the intake while changing spark plugs. I searched all night and I couldn't find that bolt. Long story short, I started the vehicle and found the bolt in the spot I searched a 100 times the night before. The engine is seized and now I'm trying to decide if the engine can be rebuilt. Or should I just go with a used engine? Prices are way up on used engines 2500 to 2700 dollar range. What would you guys do in my situation, besides not dropping a bolt. Thanks for the help

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 am

Oh man nightmare story. Im not sure if in your area there are junk yards but i would say used engine as a rebuilt wont last as long personally with nissans.
You can search for xterras,frontiers for engines also.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:12 pm

The question is what is causing the engine to "seize?" Is it jammed...did something bend...are the cylinder walls damaged or pistons? The reason I'm asking is that maybe you don't need an entire rebuild. It's hard to say without knowing the full extent of the damage. Used engines are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a Nissan reman long block! They usually hold up pretty well, so a used engine might not be a bad alternative if you find one with reasonable mileage on it. There are plenty of VQ40DE engines out there with over 150,000 miles on them running like a top!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:58 pm

I would really see what is wrong with what you have and see if it can be fixed for a reasonable sum. On that note there are plenty of VQ40DE V6 motors out there so a nice used one may be an option. Also there are several companies that off rebuilt V6 Pathy motors not sure what they cost though.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”