Performance muffler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Joshpath

Performance muffler

Postby Joshpath » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Hey ya'll. Im looking to upgrade my muffler.
Any advice on which on to get.
I want sound. But not overwhelming.
Engine= vq40de
Year= 2006
4x4

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:54 pm

I went with a Magnaflow 12580 on my 2006. Being a dual inlet muffler, it eliminates the restrictive, factory "Y" at the inlet of the factory muffler, and it's almost the same size as the factory muffler, as well. You will need an exhaust shop to modify/fabricate the factory pipes a little, but it's not too bad. Keep the factory post-muffler at the tailpipe and the secondary converters if you don't want it "too loud." It sounds "ok" at first, but will sound much better with a thousand or so miles on it as it "breaks in." Mine's a little loud at wide open throttle, but I also installed shorty headers and eliminated the rear catalytic converters, which reduce some noise, themselves. I have pictures of the install in my thread below, which I really need to update!:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Joshpath

Postby Joshpath » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Oh yeah thanks you

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 pm

smj999smj I know you have aftermarket piping, but would that 12580 muffle mount to the stock piping ? Or did you get that custom built together

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 27, 2016 12:38 am

I used the stock piping, mostly, but you have to have a little custom work...or have an exhaust shop do it. The stock muffler is a single in/single out with the front pipes sandwiched into the single inlet. The Magnaflow is a dual inlet/single outlet, so, you have to do some custom pipe fabrication to get the front pipes to work in the front. Also, the Magnaflow inlets and outlet are 1/4" bigger than the stock pipes, so that has to be addressed. I had my friend do the job. You can see the work in this thread, which I still have to update, but does have the exhaust work done:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... e5469b6bbb

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sat May 28, 2016 1:57 pm

so your saying that by replacing the stock muffler with this dual muffler, you replace the y-piece which will give you better flow AND more HP ? Or just better flow?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 29, 2016 10:37 pm

nismopath wrote:so your saying that by replacing the stock muffler with this dual muffler, you replace the y-piece which will give you better flow AND more HP ? Or just better flow?
I would hope there are gains in horsepower, but, without putting it on a dyno for comparison, it's impossible for me to say. It "should" flow better between eliminating the factory "Y" and being that the Magnaflow has a straight-through design.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:50 am

Do you recommend taking out the muffle resonators as well? If I having a shop do the muffler, it wouldn't be much more to take out the resonators. but if its not worth it then I don't want to do it and get a crazy loud sound

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 pm

There is only one resonator: the one at the tail pipe. It's best to leave that one in the system as some people get some "raspiness" when they remove it. If you are referring to what looks like resonators at the front pipes, those are not resonators, but rear catalytic converters. I replaced those with Doug Thorley mid-pipes. Removing them will make the exhaust louder and doing so may cause you issues at inspection time, depending on what state you live in. The mid-pipes are listed as "for off-road use." Anytime you delete or "gut" a catalytic converter, it's considered "tampering" by federal law.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”