Transmision needs time to start driving

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Sjeverni

Transmision needs time to start driving

Postby Sjeverni » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:39 am

Hi guys,
Something bothers me for a almost two years now.
I'm having R51 from 2008 2,5 engine with AT. Low mileage.

Lately my transmission needs few seconds after putting liver into D or R to start driving. I can hear that the transmission engage smoothly the gears, I'm pressing gas pedal but nothing happens, engine is idling in the meantime. Once the transition starts spinning and warms up few seconds after everything works perfectly until engine (transmission) is cold again
Today was not so cold and it took 5-6 seconds before it started to drive in 2WD. It gets up to 10 seconds when it is cold and the car is in Auto mode.

The transmission was just flushed at Nissan dealer and. No error shows on diagnostic tools... ever.

Any ideas guys... please help.
The worst thing is that the dealer is ensuring me that this is normal ant that they cannot see the problem. I have not experience these problems before.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you in advance

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:49 am

Here is the fix:

Lubegard Red.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007ZAJR ... begard+red

I have used in both my Pathfinders and it works amazing. No joke. You will notice faster shifting almost immediately.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Those are typically signs that the seals in the clutch drums are getting stiff and not sealing well when cold. As the trans oil heats up, it warms the seals and makes them more pliable. A product such as Trans X or the one mentioned above may help, but there's no guarantee nor for how long. To replace the seals, one would have to remove and overhaul the transmission, so a seal conditioner might not be a bad idea to start off with.

Sjeverni

Postby Sjeverni » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 am

Thank you very much for your valuable replays guys.
Is there any similar posts form past that I could search for. What key words should I use?

I hope someone else who had same/similar case will post his experience.

@00pathySE:
Did you had same problem as I or something else?
As mentioned before I have problems only first few seconds and after that the transmission works fine.

edit: I have just ordered this Lubegard.... so let's see if it helps....

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:38 pm

I noticed my 2000 Pathfinder getting a little slower shifting into drive or reverse. This stuff worked great. Also noticed faster and earlier shifts without delay between gears.

I do not typically put any additives into my vehicles and think most are gimmicks, but Lubegard is the exception. I just put it in my 06 Pathfinder I recently purchased with a transmission fluid change as preventative maintenance and I noticed the difference the first time I drove it.

Hopefully it works well for you. Let me know how I turns out.

Sjeverni

Postby Sjeverni » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 am

Thank you 00pathySE.

Just to be perfectly clear, my transmission shifts perfectly (at least I'm thinking so). Only thing is when it shifts first time, it take few seconds (5-10 depends of outside temperature) to start moving the car... as if the oil is not viscous enough and needs time to start flowing.
SMJ could be right.

It will take some days before I get the Lubegard as I had to order it from abroad. Looks like we don't have it here in Norway.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:33 am

Mine was never that severe. A second or two at most. Worth a shot though and may improve it at least.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:12 am

How did this work out?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”