Transmission rebuild - any upgrades?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

LessThanZero

Transmission rebuild - any upgrades?

Postby LessThanZero » Tue May 03, 2016 5:07 pm

I have 204,XXX miles on my 08 S model. I had the dreaded "transmission" problem but was able to power through it with a new radiator and a "industrial size" flush of the engine, etc.

I've noticed that I'm starting to have some issues and have decided to rebuild it but wanted to inquire if there are any "upgrades" that I could do to make it a beefier transmission.

Thanks in advance.

minutericesentra

Postby minutericesentra » Tue May 24, 2016 1:20 pm

There are upgrades you can do... depends on how much money you wanna spend. Google search it, 370's and titans usually go for performance.

I recently did a stock rebuild, using this kit:
http://www.oregonperformancetransmissio ... RE5R05A-RB

On two of the clutch packs, I think they put steel plates for a different variation of this tranny(maybe v-8?), so I had to re-use the stock steel ones, they weren't scorched, no problem.

I have about 2000 miles on the new parts now, including a 750mile trip averaging 85mph... it's running great and shifting smooth.
You may want to add a cooler and/or fan for the tranny, cheap insurance I think.

BTW, you don't HAVE to remove the exhaust to drop the 2WD tranny, but it's tight and you will want another person helping you. Believe it or not, I would say the most difficult part of the entire job was removing the rusted-on crossmember.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”