New to PF ownership, quick question around idling

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

eddharris

New to PF ownership, quick question around idling

Postby eddharris » Wed May 04, 2016 8:23 am

Hello all,
Just bought a 2012 LE, with 60k miles on it. Looks great and drives fantastic so very happy with it.
However, quick question as I've never had something like this before.

When driving, all is great. However when idling or coming to a stop it feels like the engine is 'searching' for revs a little. Weird thing is that the revs don't actually increase or decrease.

Is there some other motor/compressor in these that's always on?
Changed the air filter (housing isn't sealing shut 100% by the way), and still on my first tank of gas so not sure if the dealer filled up with premium or not..are these clues useful?

Cheers

eddharris

Postby eddharris » Wed May 04, 2016 10:20 am

Quick update - noticing there is a vibration through the wheel and seat when idling or under load, could this be a bad engine mount?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Earlier years of the R51 had a bulletin regarding vibration at idle due to bad engine mounts, but even with good mounts, most R51's have some vibration at idle. It tends to be more "characteristic" than "problem." It can be lessened by raising the idle slightly, but one would need a cable scan tool or re-programmer to do this.

eddharris

Postby eddharris » Wed May 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Great, thanks for that, I don't mind it being part of its personality as long as it's not a fault as such.

Getting the mounts checked out anyway next week so hopefully that will uncover whether it is an issue or not.

Cheers.

eddharris

Postby eddharris » Fri May 06, 2016 4:53 am

Quick update if interested.

I don't think its the mounts actually. No issues when cold, only when warmed up. It idles ok and then intermittently the revs feel and sound like they're dropping/searching or a sec and come back.

It also feels like the revs are low, around 600rpm I'd say.

I've done the idle learn procedure but no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

eddharris

Postby eddharris » Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Update

Any advice at all or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!!

Its not the engine mounts apparently, as per the Nissan dealer that I bought from. However, they couldn't quite replicate the problem so I left with just a throttle clean to see if that helped.

No joy, the problem is still there, even after a whole bottle of injector cleaner.

The revs, when warm and at idle are very low, they are hovering around 550 I'd say and this is why the car is vibrating a little. Increase the revs by just a little and its fine.

Is there a way to just adjust the idle speed? Any idea what else it could be as its driving me mad. Shame what appears to be a good product is being ruined by this.

I've done all the resets by the way; ecu, idle learn, etc.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 11, 2016 3:31 pm

As I mentioned earlier, you need a capable scan tool to raise the idle, since it's controlled by the ECM. It's odd that it's that low, though, even after an idle air relearn. Is that in neutral or in gear? If it's in neutral, perhaps there is an issue with the ECM? You might want the dealer have a look at it. I don't recall there being an IAC valve on this engine. I'll have to take a look at mine when I get a chance.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Thu May 12, 2016 10:42 am

My 06 had a slight vibration through the seat once warm and in gear and stopped at a red light (mine idles about 600rpm). I've changed the oil with gtx high mileage (5w30), cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor and replaced the spark plugs. All done, the vibration is noticeably less than It was when I purchased, but still there slightly. I sounds like this is a normal experience with the VQ40 engine. (even Frontiers and Xterra's)

eddharris

Postby eddharris » Fri May 13, 2016 6:40 am

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It's in neutral and drive, more so noticeable in drive as I'm spending more time in D.

Strange thing is that it seems to be clearing up, a little.
Just a theory so correct me if you think this doesn't make sense but I'm feeling like Sherlock here...

The battery was flat and so the dealer gave a new battery when I bought it.
I'm assuming (in fact I know) they didn't do the idle relearn and so when I picked it up it felt rough. I didn't drive it that much before doing the relearn process myself. Didn't immediately make a difference so booked it in to the dealer.

It was getting a little better as I drove it but I took I to the dealer anyway who did a ECU update and idle learn again.

Still no immediate results but as I drove it again, it started to get better and I defo improving.

My questions is this... is the ecu going through a learn process and will it sort itself out over time? Maybe it was getting bette but I kept resetting it??

Absolutely no issues when its driving by the way, just idle.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 am

Mine does the same. Annoys the hell out of me at times. Definitely worse some days more than others. Spent several hours searching forums, talking to dealer, etc. Seems to be "normal" in a car that's put together a little on the clunky side.

I've come to accept it. Somewhat. Most days. Kinda.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 13, 2016 11:38 am

The ECU is "self-learning," so over time, it does start adjusting to the driver's habits. Idle air relearns can be tricky to complete as there are a number of specific inputs that must be within a specific range, i.e. fuel temperature and coolant temperature, in order to complete the relearn. Perhaps the dealer could never get the relearn to complete? If it seems to be improving, that's a good sign.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”