Are the Catalytic Converters under warranty?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Ryan7

Are the Catalytic Converters under warranty?

Postby Ryan7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:13 am

I cant find much info on this. My '09 is currently at 75,000 miles and recently had a rattle sound coming from underneath when driving only to find what looks like my passenger side cats had a dime sized hole in it.

I thought I read somewhere that these are covered under a 8yr/80k warranty? This true? If so, are they going to blame New England weather for the cause and not fix this?

Also, does this warranty only work for the original owner of the vehicle only?

Thanks!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:54 pm

usually the rattle is from a heat shield rusting loose. I doubt you have a hole in the converter, if you did it would be very loud.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:23 pm

As far as your question on warranty on the converters, it is usually 7-year/70000 miles for California emission certification and 8-year/80000 miles for Federal emission certification. You could have either, regardless of whether your vehicle is in or was purchased in California or not. The underhood sticker will state whether you have Federal or California emissions. Warranty is transferable to own and goes by the production date of the vehicle.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”