Changing fuel pump sending unit

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cleanthez

Changing fuel pump sending unit

Postby cleanthez » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:55 pm

About to do this job. Would anyone benefit from me documenting the procedure?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 pm

More info never hurts! There are some videos on YouTube. This 6-part series is pretty good; it's a Frontier, not a Pathfinder, but the process is pretty much identical. BTW, if you look at the second video where he breaks the clip, mine broke as well, so you may want to get that clip before you start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-RPtz0LSA

cleanthez

Postby cleanthez » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:58 am

I bought the new style vent hose from the frontier that gets rid of the clip. Ill document the process when i do it.

jonnypants

Postby jonnypants » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:12 pm

My neighbor just helped me diagnose my fuel pump failure, and since my 03 Pathfinder has an access port under the rear seat, this seems like a pretty easy job that I can do myself. I do have a question about the parts though, and I'd like to hear your advice since you've both done this.

The fuel pump that comes up from Auto Zone or Oreilley's is the fuel pump all by itself. most of the videos I see people are dropping in entire fuel pump sending units with the housing, float and all that. Should I buy just the pump or get the entire deal?

Thanks guys!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 pm

The 2003 is an R50 and you are commenting on an R51 (2005-2012) thread. The R51 has a fuel pump module assembly, whereas the earlier R50 does not. The pump for your R50 will consist of a pump with a strainer and an attached hose and wiring. Personally, I usually recommend Nissan fuel pumps and never use aftermarket pumps because of so many problems I've seen and experienced with poor quality pumps. The exception I might make in this case is that you can get a Hitachi fuel pump (HITACHI #FUP0019) for $158+shipping from Rockauto.com. Hitachi is the OE supplier to Nissan for the part. The genuine Nissan pump sells for about $100 more online, which is about what Autozone sells the Hitachi pump for, FYI. So, you don't need to replace the sending unit, but you will need a new "O" ring for it. Be careful when handling the quick-connect hoses, as they aren't always quick to disconnect and can break!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”