Coolant leak into cylinders

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Oscar4403

Coolant leak into cylinders

Postby Oscar4403 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:19 am

Hi, new here. I have an 06 pathfinder, currently has an issue with coolant leaking into the left side cylinders looking at it from the front. I suspect maybe a head gasket leak? Saw coolant on heads through spark plug hole and also took off intake...coolant in valves too.... Anyways, can anyone help with info or diagrams on how to replace the gaskets? Started to do it myself, realizing its a bigger job than i expected. Searched the web and youtube, no help. Pls, any insights are appreciated. Oh, i recently replaced the broken radiator due to overheating, did a pressure test and it passed. After like 10min being turned on, white smoke started from exhaust, and ultimately fresh coolant dripping from muffler and tailpipe.

EPAYNE5

Re: Coolant leak into cylinders

Postby EPAYNE5 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:37 am

Oscar4403 wrote:Hi, new here. I have an 06 pathfinder, currently has an issue with coolant leaking into the left side cylinders looking at it from the front. I suspect maybe a head gasket leak? Saw coolant on heads through spark plug hole and also took off intake...coolant in valves too.... Anyways, can anyone help with info or diagrams on how to replace the gaskets? Started to do it myself, realizing its a bigger job than i expected. Searched the web and youtube, no help. Pls, any insights are appreciated. Oh, i recently replaced the broken radiator due to overheating, did a pressure test and it passed. After like 10min being turned on, white smoke started from exhaust, and ultimately fresh coolant dripping from muffler and tailpipe.
My bet is your radiator issue resulted in your car overheating. I believe these vehicles have aluminum heads. Usually with aluminum head cars if they overheat its just a matter of time before the head gasket goes and/or the head CRACKS. Be sure to have your head tested thoroughly to make sure there's no microscopic cracks. Whoever resurfaces the head(s) should do the test.

Check out this link: http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-pat ... r-manuals/

I downloaded a repair manual for my 2009. It was legit.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm

It's a big job. If the upper timing chains are original, you should replace them and the upper tensioner "faces," the plastic part of the tensioner that presses against the chains.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”