Hard starting after getting gas

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ebber99

Hard starting after getting gas

Postby ebber99 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:52 am

So i have had my check engine light on which it throws the code for a evap leak, cant remember the actual code but something likel P0455. I had the mechanic check it out and he found that the plug on the charcoal canister was unplugged so he plugged it back in and heard the snap so he was pretty sure that it clicked to hold it on. the check engine light stayed off for 3 weeks, great thought that it was fixed, I went to get gas ( for the first time since being looked at ) and turned the ignition over and would just turnover never catching until I press down on the gas pedal then it would go. I have filled up 5 times and every time I go and get gas this happens, never any other time, as a test it was half full I open up the gas cap ( thinking that I was getting gas :) but it turned over without any issues.

I assume that this must be related some how because the check engine light also came back :) maybe the plug came off? but that never did that before me bringing it in, I drop for 2 years before getting someone to look at it because the service manager at Nissan said that it wont cause any issue. we don't have emission test here in NB Canada

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:24 am

I've heard of similar problems occurring on Kia's due to a sticking open evap purge valve. On those, when you fill the tank, gas goes through the evap line and causes a flood condition during start-up. Pressing down the gas pedal opens the throttle plate and allows the engine to start. You could try not filling the tank when you get gas and see if the problem stops, which would point to that being the problem.

ebber99

Postby ebber99 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 am

ok thanks smj999smj, I'll try just putting it to 3/4 full.

ebber

Postby ebber » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:24 pm

So I filled the tank and it was only half full and still had a hard time starting it so I guess it happens every time I get gas :(

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Did you ever get the code read after it came back? It may not necessarily be the same code as before.

ebber

Postby ebber » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 am

no I didn't, not yet anyway. I will have to try and make a appointment to go back in, just weird that it started happening after he plugged back in whatever it was ( Vent control valve )

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Almost any auto parts store can borrow you a reader, or you can usually buy one from a store for $40-90.

Pays for itself on the first use!

ebber99

update

Postby ebber99 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:34 am

So after replacing the solenoid that sits on top of the charcoal canister same issue, I then unplugged the cable that sits on top of the charcoal canister ( as this is what the mechanic found that was loose and snapped it back in, not the actual electrical connector but the plug that goes into canister that connects to the electrical plug ) I have not gotten gas yet so I dont know if that fixed my not starting right away after getting gas. I went back to the mechanic and he said that the EVAP canister purge volume control
solenoid valve must be bad ( or would be the next thing to check, I got one from my local junk yard hooked it up, plugged back in the connector that is on top of the Charcoal canister started up the truck and now the SLIP and VDC lights are on and I press the gas pedal and nothing happens, no revs or very little and I mean like 1500 rpm, thats it. so I did the reverse, put the old EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve back in, started truck and same issue, unplugged back in the electrical connector and boom the lights went out and starting working again but the check engine light is still on and I am worried about getting gas now without that electrical connector plugged in. What the hell else can go wrong......

ebber99

Postby ebber99 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 am

looked up that connector and its the evap fuel tank pressure sensor that sits on top of the charcoal canister

ebber99

Postby ebber99 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:14 pm

I guess this has stumped everyone in here.....further more to this I just brought the pathfinder in to have the codes cleared and once the Evap pressure sensor is plugged in I get the SLIP and VDC lights come on and also get the P2122 and P2138, press the gas and no power at all, just revs to 1500, unplug the the sensor and codes clear and power is back...doesnt make sense.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:50 am

Those codes are for the throttle actuator and throttle position sensor, respectively. An issue with them could put the vehicle into fail safe mode, which would limit RPM and would cause the VDC/Slip warning lights to come on as well. This is because when there is an engine management issue, the ECM turns off the traction control which causing the warning lights to come "on." I don't see what this has to do with the evap system, however, unless you have shorted circuits somewhere. You might need to perform the trouble diagnostic steps for the 2122 and/or 2138 codes per the service manual

ebber

Postby ebber » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks, I'll see if I can find the troubleshooting steps for that. Seems like I keep chasing one issue to another, fix that and something else triggers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 pm

ebber wrote:Thanks, I'll see if I can find the troubleshooting steps for that. Seems like I keep chasing one issue to another, fix that and something else triggers
NissanHelp.com has downloadable service manual sections in their "knowledge base."

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”