HELP!!! NEED ADVICE!!!!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jguy26

HELP!!! NEED ADVICE!!!!

Postby Jguy26 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Okay so both harnesses on my 2007 pathfinder were burnt. My mechanic replaces them brand new and the transmission fuse keeps blowing. So he said he drops the transmission pan and the fluid looks chaulky like. He said the tranny is ruined and needs another one. Now so far I owe him $1,820 dollars. He said he can get a rebuilt one for $2,400 dollars and after labor my costs is around $5,400. My pathfinder isn't worth that much with 155,000 miles. Should I shop for a tranny and have someone else install or sell as is!! I don't know what to do as this is my wife's vehicle. Please help!!!! :cry:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:35 pm

Dirty transmission fluid won't cause wiring harnesses to short nor flow fuses. If the harness were actually shorted or burnt, the first question that should be asked is why? Now, with the new harnesses, the fuse is blowing, which means there is a short in the circuit. It seems to me the first thing to figure out is what is causing the fuse to blow. I don't know what "chaulky like" automatic transmission fluid looks like without actually seeing it for myself. Since these vehicles are prone to trans cooler failure within the radiator, is it possibly the trans fluid is contaminated with coolant, which would make white streaks in the ATF or turn it custardy, depending on the amount of contamination. If this is the case, the trans probably is ruined, but you will also need a radiator. Because of the number of trans failures in these vehicles due to the cooler issue, used transmissions aren't cheap when you can find a good one.
Obviously, without seeing the condition of your Pathy, I can't say what it's worth without seeing the condition of the rest of the vehicle and knowing more about it. You can use a site like www.kbb.com or www.nada.com to figure out what your vehicle is worth. If you are in a financial state where you can afford a better vehicle, that might be a good choice and save you some headache. Unfortunately, the only one who can answer that question is you. There are just too many unknowns for us to give you an answer as to what is the best thing to do.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”