Help needed! Clicking sound from Pathfinder - Nissan no help

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Hookahey

Help needed! Clicking sound from Pathfinder - Nissan no help

Postby Hookahey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:38 am

Hi everybody,

my 2010 Pathfinder (2.5 automatic) makes a strange clicking/ticking sound from the engine. I only comes up occasionally and Nissan was not able to detect the reason yet. Whenever it is there and I switch to neutral the sound disappears and it often comes up when I tow my boat. You can hear the sound in this video https://vimeo.com/179301412

They already repaired stuff for more than 8000$ gladly covered by the guarantee. They repaired so far:

1. Differential
2. Turbo
3. Timing chains
4. 2 Injectors

I am really anxious that the automatic gear box or the engine itself could have a serious problem which could lead to a complete breakdown.

Can anyone help? It seems Nissan is not able to.

Thanks so much for your help!

Daniel[/b]

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:48 pm

If they replaced timing chain, then I doubt it is something serious.

Similar sounds I met with the following:

- once the "normal" belt was not properly installed, was offset for one stripe on one of the pulleys, so one stripe of the belt teared off and the teared part of belt was waving around, ticking on random engine parts around. Took quite a long time to diagnose.

- the other situation with similar sound was A/C compressor prefailure.

Maybe check if A/C is properly filled with gas (you need 850 gr in the system).

Hookahey

Postby Hookahey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:41 am

labsy wrote:If they replaced timing chain, then I doubt it is something serious.

Similar sounds I met with the following:

- once the "normal" belt was not properly installed, was offset for one stripe on one of the pulleys, so one stripe of the belt teared off and the teared part of belt was waving around, ticking on random engine parts around. Took quite a long time to diagnose.

- the other situation with similar sound was A/C compressor prefailure.

Maybe check if A/C is properly filled with gas (you need 850 gr in the system).
Thanks for your input. To the two possible reasons you mentioned:

1. If I understood you correctly (sorry, I am from Germany and not a native speaker) the sound should have gone away after the timing chains where changed, correct? Unfortunately it was there before and after the replacement.

2. Thanks. I will check that!

labsy

Postby labsy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:38 pm

No, I was not speaking about cam belts/chains, but about serpentine belt, which drives alternator and other non essential stuff. It's visible on the outside, you can visually inspect that.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”