Blown Head Gasket... opinions on my options

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Blown Head Gasket... opinions on my options

Postby oreogaborio » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:31 am

2005 V6
210k miles
I own outright
Just did timing chains myself last summer, now it has a blown headgasket.

Just got a call from the shop. They were calling to tell me that the original estimate they gave me was too low and they need to do some math to recalculate. They didn't realize they will have to take the whole engine apart.

What to do, what to do...

Someone give me some good news.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:37 am

Well... According to ALLDATA, you're looking at between 17 to 20 hours of work to change either 1 or both head gaskets. The gaskets are about 50$ each..

Are you looking for options betwene the garage vs yourself doing it or are you looking at making the repair vs selling the truck ?

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:35 am

Definitely not doing this one myself. I did my timing chains myself last year. The job took me a week and a half to complete because I ran into issues every single step along the way. I almost burned the thing to the ground multiple times. lol.

Anyway, the shop just called back and quoted me $2k, assuming the head comes back from the machine shop in okay condition. If it's warped or cracked he would find a used head, which estimated would add another $400.

I'm fairly certain this quote is for one side only. We previously discussed checking the other head, so presumably he did that and it was within tolerances, but he didn't confirm when giving me the quote.

Then again, he said it would be around 24hrs of labor, so perhaps that was for both sides... I'll clarify that issue next time I speak with him.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:14 pm

Head gaskets aren't a common problem on the VQ40DE engines. You might consider pricing the cost of installing a used engine considering the mileage of the vehicle. Whether either job is worth the cost depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. If you are in the position, financially, to afford another vehicle, that would be the other option.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:37 am

Yeah I had some overheating issues (not related to the transmission crossover) that I think caused it... I didn't think it got hot enough to warp or crack the head, but it may have done just that.

Honestly, I kinda wish the shop said it was going to cost 4k or more, because then it would have been a no brainer to say "no thanks, lets junk it" and get a new vehicle... but $2400 is right on the cusp of whether or not I want to junk it now or have the repairs done and drive it another year.

Sucks... I had a decent amount of money into this vehicle to help with towing which I do quite often from spring -> fall.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”