2005 unexplained high pitched squeak

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Copes

2005 unexplained high pitched squeak

Postby Copes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:59 am

In Feb of this year i had a rattle from then belt area of the engine . I norrowed it down to the belt tensioner or at least i thought so. Replaced the belt tensioner and still had it. Noticed the fan clutch was to blame. Replaced the fan clutch and belt. the high pitch squeak has shown up. I immediately thought the fan clutch was the blame since it was an aftermarket. I replaced it yet again with a Barns and Ackley clutch. This one still has a squeak to it. But during the summer it was completely gone. Now the cooler temp's are back the squeak is as well. And the truck sounds like a jet engine roar from the fan area . THE squeak is only audible during accelerating. Anyone else has this sort of issue. I also replaced the idler pulley.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 am

The "roar" is the fan clutch not disengaging. When you first start the engine cold, you might hear it for a couple of seconds, but then it should go away. There have been a lot of problems with aftermarket fan clutches, so genuine Nissan is the way to go. The squeak "may" be due to a bearing going bad in the fan pulley bracket, Nissan P/N: 21046-EA200. This is another part where there have been issues with aftermarket replacements, so it's best to stick with genuine Nissan if it is your problem.

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... ?PNC=21082

Nissan did have issues with belt squeak on these Pathfinders, as well, and released a TSB. The bulletin stated to check the P/S pump alignment and adjust as necessary to have the belt ride properly on the pulley. If that was okay, they stated to replace the serpentine belt tensioner and the drive belt, which was updated to a slightly shorter length (which causes increased tension on the belt). On the aftermarket, they usually refer to it as the "enhancement kit."

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”