Yet another issue engine knocking

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jrobers

Yet another issue engine knocking

Postby jrobers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am

So on days when it's cold, below 60 I'd say. My engine knocks (not the I used 89 octane knock). Sounds like lifters or something. It's not the same as the cold morning knocking sound. This sound sticks around unless I'm cruising at lower RPMs.

I've tried Seafoam through the brake booster line. I've tried seafoam in the gas tank, and Redline in the tank. My fuel mileage is down to like an average of 15-15.5 with careful driving.

I had an oil change done at a shop when they replaced my timing chains. I suspected they didn't use synthetic so I did an oil change and the noise got quieter but didn't go away.

I've got no engine codes. I don't seem to have lost any power. The idle seems about right not rough or anything. I've considered seafoam in the oil right before my next oil change.

Any thoughts?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:34 pm

What is your oil pressure at idle is the gage reading real low? Drain the oil and replace it with one of the following Mobil 1 0W40, Castrol Edge (Black bottle) 0W40 or Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5W40. This will tell you if it's oil related and with your year and millage you should switch to a 40 weight oil anyway.

My Toyota 4Runner would develop a knock before the plugs needed to be changed every 30,000 miles I don't know why. Have your plugs on your Pathy ever been changed?

Is it possible your timing could be off? Will the knock go away with a tank full of premium fuel?

albus415

Postby albus415 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Noticed similar on my 2007 LE, interested to hear feedback! On mine, happens when cold, but once fully warm it goes away. Similar mpg and no loss of performance.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 pm

The VQ40DE does seem to exhibit a slight knock when cold it seems quite common. My 2012 with 52,000 does the same thing and has since new untill warm. Then again every car or truck I ever owned made strange noises below zero and esp if it hits -20F they all hate it!

Just try and take it easy until warm.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm

So I've been using Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic since 45k miles. This knock started a few months ago and just doesn't fully go away. My oil pressure looks fine according to the gauge. I've got the oil right in the middle between high and low on the dip stick. I changed the plugs a year ago. I just had my tailpipe replaced but I'm pretty dang sure that couldn't cause this.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”