Exhaust for my 05

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Exhaust for my 05

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey all,

So now that we decided to put some $$ into the SUV, I have a few options:

1. Gibson Cat Back - Can get for $325 + 100 shipping USD from 4x4parts.com

2. Bosal Cat Back kit - Can get for $257 + $56 shipping CAD from RockAuto

3. Full custom at a shop here locally - No idea on cost for this.

I don't really care if it gives me more horsepower, but am concerned with noise and making sure I don't lose power.

While we take apart the exhaust, we will be inspecting the Cats to see what kind of shape they are in. If they are good, I'll probably leave them. If they are plugged or showing signs of wear, I am thinking about hollowing them out.

Would this affect performance in any negative way? (other than a constant CEL unless I figure out O2 sensor simulators)

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:39 am

If you want to test the cats to see if they are restrictive, the best way to do it is before you remove anything. An exhaust backpressure tester will let you know if they are good or not.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/ ... 3/image/3/

Removing or gutting the rear cats will not trigger the CEL, however, doing the front cats will, unless you use CEL eliminators. It will also make the system louder. Adding a performance muffler or catback system will cause an audible drone for which you should be prepared. It gets noticeably louder as the muffler breaks in. You could do what I did: Doug Thorley headers and midpipes. Magnaflow 12580 muffler:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=12841

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Posts here from way in the past showed that the Gibson exhaust system had poor results. Most people felt like they lost power from it vs. stock.
Honestly, how could replacing a restrictive "Y" pipe/ single-in/ single-out muffler with another of practically the same design be any major improvement?
Most have had success having custom exhaust done from the rear cats to the rear resonator and eliminating the "Y" right before the muffler.
I chose a Magnaflow muffler that is dual-in/ single-out and had a muffler shop custom the tubing. I ended up with dual pipes from the cats to the muffler and a single pipe from muffler to resonator.
Some experimented with removing the resonator in the back but put it back on because of too much noise.
I gained performance and gas mileage (both measurable) and I really like the sound.
Oh yeah, as far as price... I bought the muffler myself and had a buddy who manages a Meineke do the welding and fabricating. All done I spent about $200 including the muffler. Even though I got a buddy deal, there isn't much need to spend a lot for this mod. I had another muffler shop quote me like $400 and it took my Meineke buddy less than half an hour to do it and he used some leftover pipe to fabricate.
Btw, I had this done about 7 years ago and it has been flawless.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Honestly, I didn't really notice much difference in performance nor gas mileage even after I installed the Doug Thorley shorty headers, replaced the rear cats with Doug Thorley mid-pipes and replaced the factory main muffler with the Magnaflow 12580. It was definitely louder, which increased after several hundred miles, and sounded great at WOT, but I just didn't feel like the vehicle was much faster or fuel efficient. In fact, I initially started driving more aggressively because of the exhaust, which hurt fuel mileage. That doesn't mean it didn't create more power; only comparing before and after on a dyno would prove that. After that, I installed the XTP plenum spacer and aFe Momentum air intake system and it did seem to wake up a little. It wasn't until I got the Superchips tuner and went with the 93 Octane performance tune with a 3 degree timing bump that doing the mods really seemed to make a difference. So, my advice would be unless you are planning to do other mods and a tuner to increase performance, the stock exhaust is just fine as it is, unless you want to deal with a lot of exhaust "drone" at low RPMs.
One thing I've looked at is the possibility of installing the V8 muffler (a 2 into 1 design) onto the V6 model. It looks like they may join at the same point between the rear converter flange and the flange of the muffler pipes. Since the body is the same, the piping behind the muffler and the muffler location should be the same, as I see it. I would think the swap would result in a more livable sound, if you don't care for the loud, aftermarket muffler drone. Unfortunately, I haven't had a V8 model to do any measurements or direct comparisons to my V6 Pathys.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:30 pm

I neglected to mention the heavy foot I had for a while. :lol: The sound was good enough that I didn't even listen to the radio for a week or two.
When I finally backed off the heavy foot, I gained maybe a couple mpg on the highway.
As far as performance, it was measurable because I had time slips from the drag strip before and after the exhaust mod. I gained 2/10's of a second in the 1/4 mile.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:55 pm

2 mpg would be pretty significant in a vehicle that typically averages 17-18 mpg, combined, if you actually got that much.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”