Engine Block Heaters Vs' Battery Heaters: Preference?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

OurPathfinder

Engine Block Heaters Vs' Battery Heaters: Preference?

Postby OurPathfinder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:38 pm

So we live here in South Central Colorado where the temperatures can get pretty nippy sometimes. Our heated garage is great at home, but when we're out and about and have to leave the PF outdoors, we need to keep it plugged in.

Does anyone have a preference between the engine/oil pan heater to the battery blanket? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Block heater is a more permanent solution, but only really necessary at -10C (14F) and below)

Battery blankets would need to be replaced every few years, but be cheaper up front. Your battery should be fine down to -40C (-40F) if its in OK shape.

t

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Thank you Terry. I think we will go with the oil pan mount. Found a good heater pad for the oil pan at Checker Auto Parts here in Colorado for $15 including tax. I talked with some neighbors and they recommend it as well. Thank you for your input! -Dave

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm

OurPathfinder wrote:Thank you Terry. I think we will go with the oil pan mount. Found a good heater pad for the oil pan at Checker Auto Parts here in Colorado for $15 including tax. I talked with some neighbors and they recommend it as well. Thank you for your input! -Dave
I actually have one of those. Kinda half-a$$ed install if I remember, the heater is magnetic and you use a metal strip to attach it to the oil pan.

The heater is good for occasional use and thawing frozen pipes in your house.

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”