Transmission Overheating

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 am

Is it possible the Bullydog could be giving a false reading?

HiBRiD109

Postby HiBRiD109 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 pm

aussie370 wrote:I have the Bully Dog installed.

I thought about the sensor but the transmission runs at around 190 in town. It is just under load (400 - 500lbs in the back) when going up long steep hills.
Ok, you mentioned in your original post that you had the transmission fully serviced. Did you have the overheating issue before that as well? I know how transmission work but I don't have much knowledgeable on how cooling and the fluid work.

I watched this video to give me a better understanding on fluid. Not directly related and he doesn't mention overheating but gives you some insight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc

aussie370

Postby aussie370 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:52 am

Thupertrooper wrote:Torque converter with incorrect stall can make the tranny run hot.

Im thinking its an oil or torque converter issue.
Everything has been replaced except the valve body in which the soft parts were changed and tested.
smj999smj wrote:

I thought about the sensor but the transmission runs at around 190 in town. It is just under load (400 - 500lbs in the back) when going up long steep hills.
Is 190 Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees? If it's 190 degrees F., that's normal operating temperature for transmission fluid.
:-) it's F

Kestral wrote:Is it possible the Bullydog could be giving a false reading?
I don't think so as all other readings are normal such as engine coolant 195 - 200F etc
HiBRiD109 wrote:

Ok, you mentioned in your original post that you had the transmission fully serviced. Did you have the overheating issue before that as well? I know how transmission work but I don't have much knowledgeable on how cooling and the fluid work.

I watched this video to give me a better understanding on fluid. Not directly related and he doesn't mention overheating but gives you some insight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc
Yes, it was slipping and overheating before under load

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”