Timing Chain question - also general PM question

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 pm

just replaced my timing chain tensioner on the pathfinder, runs like new. There is no more noise and it feels more responsive.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 pm

me&pathy wrote:just replaced my timing chain tensioner on the pathfinder, runs like new. There is no more noise and it feels more responsive.
Did you do it yourself or take it to a dealer/mechanic? If DIY, how was it, how much were parts, and do you have any tips? If dealer/mechanic, how much did it run you?

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:39 pm

LittleStevie wrote:
me&pathy wrote:just replaced my timing chain tensioner on the pathfinder, runs like new. There is no more noise and it feels more responsive.
Did you do it yourself or take it to a dealer/mechanic? If DIY, how was it, how much were parts, and do you have any tips? If dealer/mechanic, how much did it run you?
i took it in twice before and they couldn't find a problem so of course im 900 miles out of the basic warranty and they wanted 300 bucks for it. so i was like its ok i bought the extended warranty, well the dealer wouldn't honor it. I called nissan corporate and told them the whole story of how i have taken it in when it was under the basic warranty and they wouldn't fix it. Well nissan ended up com ping the whole thing. The dealer will rip you off take it in and if they give u shit call nissan. It runs like new now its so much more responsive

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32 pm

me&pathy wrote:
LittleStevie wrote:
i took it in twice before and they couldn't find a problem so of course im 900 miles out of the basic warranty and they wanted 300 bucks for it. so i was like its ok i bought the extended warranty, well the dealer wouldn't honor it. I called nissan corporate and told them the whole story of how i have taken it in when it was under the basic warranty and they wouldn't fix it. Well nissan ended up com ping the whole thing. The dealer will rip you off take it in and if they give u shit call nissan. It runs like new now its so much more responsive
you don't by chance know the number for corp. still and who you talked to. I am having trouble with the paint on my rear hatch. there is a spot the size of about a quarter by the top corner of the glass that the clear is coming off. I went to one dealership already with no luck. I plan on going to another next week and if they will not help me i am going to try and contact Nissan on it.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 am

me&pathy wrote: i took it in twice before and they couldn't find a problem so of course im 900 miles out of the basic warranty and they wanted 300 bucks for it.
$300? Are we talking about the same part? I thought that the secondary timing chain and tensioner replacement would be upwards of $1500. Or was this because of your extended warranty.

Others have told me that Nissan is really good with fixing things that really should not have been an issue, even out of warranty. It definitely doesn't hurt to pursue corporate. In my opinion, any design flaw that gets you before 100k should be reasonably honored.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:42 am

LittleStevie wrote:
me&pathy wrote: i took it in twice before and they couldn't find a problem so of course im 900 miles out of the basic warranty and they wanted 300 bucks for it.
$300? Are we talking about the same part? I thought that the secondary timing chain and tensioner replacement would be upwards of $1500. Or was this because of your extended warranty.

Others have told me that Nissan is really good with fixing things that really should not have been an issue, even out of warranty. It definitely doesn't hurt to pursue corporate. In my opinion, any design flaw that gets you before 100k should be reasonably honored.
I thinks it would be about $300 in parts, but the labor allowed is 8hrs, thats where they getcha.

t

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 pm

HillbillyJake wrote:
me&pathy wrote:
LittleStevie wrote: Did you do it yourself or take it to a dealer/mechanic? If DIY, how was it, how much were parts, and do you have any tips? If dealer/mechanic, how much did it run you?
you don't by chance know the number for corp. still and who you talked to. I am having trouble with the paint on my rear hatch. there is a spot the size of about a quarter by the top corner of the glass that the clear is coming off. I went to one dealership already with no luck. I plan on going to another next week and if they will not help me i am going to try and contact Nissan on it.
If you took it in and can provide proof that you did so, call Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

make sure you have all paper work from the dealer they should ask you for dates service number exedra. Tell them that you want them to contact your local dealer. I was pretty stern and they will probably put you on hold but its worth it, good luck :D

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:10 am

Thank-you

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”