Question regarding 2005 SE tranny fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bubba59

Question regarding 2005 SE tranny fluid

Postby bubba59 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 pm

I bought a 2005 SE last winter and the transmission had been rebuilt from the previous owner. It has the radiator bypassed.

I'm thinking about replacing the transfer case fluid and the differential fluids since I'm not sure that the rebuilt would have covered any of those.
The tranny has about 20,000 miles on it since the rebuild but I'm not hard on it at all. I'm also unsure what tranny fluid the shop used when they rebuilt so was concerned about doing a drain/refill because it won't really replace all the transmission fluid and I'm not sure if mixing would be a good thing.

BTW, the thing shifts great aside from the 4WD indicator not turning off when I shift from 4WD to 2WD until I stop and go in reverse for a few feet.

If I just replace the transfer fluid how much and what kind should I use?
Also, what about the differentials (both front and rear)?

Any insight would be great.
Thanks!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Good thinking about doing the maintenance!
And coming here for pointers :D

If memory serves the ATF holds a total of 14 qts and a drain and refill will use about 7 (ish)
I did one the other day and used less than 2 of the 1 gallon containers and returned the 3rd I had bought.

1) 100% compatible fluids with this transmission are:
Valvoline Maxlife ATX
Castrol Transxmax Import Multi vehicle

And of course the dealerships ATF

2)Wouldnt worry about mixing anything.

3) Transfer case takes ATF, same as tranny.

4) Dont worry about it taking a moment to shift out of 4WD. Its pretty common. Both my R51 and my Xterra (same engine, tranny, transfer case) do it.
Except usually its sufficient to just start weaving some turns a bit for it to "go" . but it may take a couple hundrd yards to it to switch out of 4WD.
Once it took a half a mile and this was in a near brand new '15 Xterra.

5)
GL5 75w-90 seems to be the most common fluid for the rear diff.
GL5 80w-90 for the front diff.
As for quantity ust drain the diff and refill up to the fill hole and then its full.

Also check page 9-2 on this 2005 Nissan R51 Owners manual:
http://www.vadennissanservicecontracts. ... finder.pdf

bubba59

Postby bubba59 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 am

Thanks!
Yeah, just thought I'd double check...
Thanks for the link.

As far as the 4WD light...it's never worked right and will continue to blink forever unless I stop and go into reverse or make a very sharp turn either way...which isn't the best when you're on the highway going 60 mph!

I came from a Isuzu Trooper that had the TOD system and it worked great but there were many other negatives with regards to that truck...lol

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:08 pm

A drain and fill of the transmission usually take about 4 quarts. The manual transfer case (which is in every model except the LE trim) takes 2-1/8 pints. I use Valvoline Maxlife Full-synthetic ATF in both of them, which sells at Walmart for $18/gallon jug (individual quarts are a little more expensive as far as the per quart cost).

The front diff takes 1.75 pints and the rear diff takes 3.0 pints. So, I get three 1-qt. bottles of Mobil One full-synthetic 75W90 gear oil to cover both diffs.

The drain plugs have crush washers that are supposed to be replaced. The transmission pan plug takes Nissan 11026-01M02 and you'll need six of 11026-4N200 to cover the fill and drain plugs of the transfer case and diffs. The torque spec. on the drain plugs is 26 ft/lbs. The trans plug is 19MM and the transfer case/diff plugs require a 10MM hex socket. Don't mix up the plugs on the transfer case because the bottom one has a magnet and it will rub against the gear inside the case if you do (don't ask how I found this out!).

I highly recommend you get a fluid transfer pump to refill the transfer case and diffs. Something like this will work:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/per ... lsrc=aw.ds

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”