5.6 Swap?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

alien_bug

5.6 Swap?

Postby alien_bug » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 am

My 4.0 needs the T-Chain. Also exhaust is smoking a bit blue now. I bought it with the K&N cold air intake, my feeling is they wear the engine out quicker. I've about 190K now and read the 5.6 swaps..? I see there is a harness available. Any videos or write-ups on this anywhere? Is the stock suspension and drivetrain ok with the V8? Any advice or opinions are much appreciated

Thank you.

well, found this ..cool https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powert ... 6-pbr.html

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Given how very closely the Xterra matches the R51 especially in the front I would imagine one could follow the XTerra method to the t and get it done.
If anything we likely have a tad more room since some R51s came with the V8 factory.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:10 pm

I think they call themselves drivendesire who know there way around a vk swap. They have done plenty of Xterras and Frontiers basically all they use are V8 Pathfinder parts so its a thing.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:17 am

Offroad Gorilla has the harness and conversion info:

http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/vk56 ... pathfinder

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm

[email protected]

Email them if you have any questions

Adambomb

Re: 5.6 Swap?

Postby Adambomb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:40 pm

alien_bug wrote:My 4.0 needs the T-Chain. Also exhaust is smoking a bit blue now. I bought it with the K&N cold air intake, my feeling is they wear the engine out quicker.
I've recently discovered from a friend that some independent testing shows that the K&Ns actually do a terrible job at filtering air, so there is probably something to that. I haven't put a ton of miles on something with a K&N, but I do have my doubts. For the marginal performance increase of a K&N and the marginal cost of standard paper filters, I've gotten to the point of just sticking with stock.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:20 pm

It likely wasn't the K&N filter that caused the timing chain issue. There is a well-known problem with upper timing chains cutting through the upper chain tensioner faces on 2005-2010 VQ40DE engines in North America. The chains are made by Borg-Warner and as the tooling wore that stamped the link plates for the upper chains, it left sharp edges on the links. The sharp links would cut through the plastic tensioner faces and would start making a "whining" noise until finally it cut down to the tensioner plunger. If left too long without replacing, it could cause the upper chains to jump timing, bend valves and/or damage the piston and/or cylinder bore. There's no pre-determined mileage for the problem to occur since it all depended on how much wear, if any, was on the tooling when the link plates were stamped. Many have no problems, some have whining issues around 30,000 miles and some don't occur until after 100,000 miles.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”