CONSULT II ECM Data with Nissan DataScan II

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 am

Da_Q-ban_1 wrote:Thanks your checking into this. I'm curious, which model of that cheap scanner specifically did you buy? For 13-15 bucks that's a steal, even if it provides a little more data than regular scan tool.

Thupertrooper wrote:Just tried the lite version and everything worked fine. My Pathfinder has alot of issues. I need a new cat so I was able to see the o2 sensor voltages and confirm bad cat

I would really want something to read abs codes as its more sensitive and my light is always on.
Mine also has a bunch of codes... I just erased them all yesterday. We'll see which ones come back. I too may need a new cat.
Yesterday as I waited for mechanic to come back from lunch I popped into a muffler shop in Mesa. He lifted the pathy, scanned her and confirmed I need new cats.. P0430 (not sure what others.. when I scanned it I only saw the one) and proceeded to quote me $500 for replacing both cats. But here's the interesting part, he said I needed the back ones (closer to the exhaust), which he called "backburners/burn-backs" or something along those lines.
Aren't these what's known as the downstream cats?
And if so, shouldn't the ones being replaced be the upstream cats (closer to manifold)?
Or am I incorrect, and does the code P0430 refer to the bank 2 cat, which IS the downstream cat on the driver side...?
You are right, the cats monitored by the sensors are the upstream ones. The afterburners are just to reduce unburned hydrocarbons even more.

Da_Q-ban_1

Postby Da_Q-ban_1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Got it. Thank you both!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 pm

Whoops, didn't read closely enough.

Normal troubleshooting for that code starts with spark plugs and whatnot before replacing your cats. I had that code 2,000 miles ago and it was right at 80,000 miles or so for that set of plugs. Since you just picked up the Pathfinder and don't know the mileage on the plugs, maybe start with those?

FWIW my plugs were mostly fine, but I had a worn plug on the same side that I later had the code for camshaft advance, where it had a VVT issue. New plugs cleared the code for less than new cats and it hasn't come back.

But if it did...yeah, cats, O2 sensors, or both.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:35 pm

My bank 2 cats burned up fell apart and clogged the secondary/backburners so I have the secondaries bypassed till I swap a new cat.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”