Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Db615

Re: Odd Transmission Issue - Seeking Input

Postby Db615 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:54 am
Db615 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:59 am
Just an update. I did spend $3200 on a full rebuild replacing everything including new valve body, torque converter, pump, etc. with a 2 year warranty. It was full of metal shavings and coolant. Did the bypass as well. The fluid was gray. Drives and shifts amazing now. Was worth the money for sure.
Awesome!!
Glad to hear you put the investment in that sweet ride.
Waaay better than replacing it ...

Stock radiator though huh?
Lots and lots of people have had great experience with the bypass even in warm climates.. still the perfectionist in me would want a new rad ( at 160k might be time anyway)..

But i get it... if i had just spent 3200 bucks I might not be so eager to spend more on top of it..

Everyone on here has been really nice to me and helpful btw which I appreciate. And yeah surprisingly it was the factory Nissan radiator and it didn’t have the bypass done like I had assumed it did. I was wrong! It does now though. The trans builder was really nice and honest with me also. He didn’t just surprise me with charges and looked out for me. Explained to me that the valve body was most likely contaminated and he knew I was keeping the vehicle and wanting as many miles as possible out of it so he said he was looking out for me and said it’s best to do all the seals, pump, converter etc and just put literally everything brand new in there. The 2 year warranty certainly helps me sleep at night. The builder said the factory trans coolers on ours are so small it doesn’t even really make a difference. When I went to pick it up, there was a white one in for a fluid and filter change he rebuilt over 5 years ago he said and it had over 220k miles on it and said it runs solid. So that’s reassuring also. And no, I agree with you in the radiator and I think it would be good preventative maintenance to do. I’ve been trying to find a middle radio dash bezel (the part with the air vents and stuff) because as usual the plastic cracked on mine and I cannot find that stupid cafe latte anywhere! Everything is gray or black and they want like $200 for those things!!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”