Thermostat and coolant change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Thermostat and coolant change

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Hey all,

So its been at least 6 years since my last thermostat change, and about 3 years on the coolant. I've noticed that my thermostat may be sticking a bit when under heavy load, and we are planning a big trip in April, so thought it'd be good to change out the thermostat.

Bought a Nissan OEM part from CourtesyNissan for $21.71, and added the $1.71 for the new gasket. Total was $29.48 shipped to my parcel service in Pembina.

Started by draining the rad. Popped the cap on both the rad and the resevoir tank and undid the draincock on the bottom of the rad. Took about 20 minutes.

Once the water level was below the thermostat, I started to work on the 3 bolts for the thermostat. Managed to get them all out, though I did drop one, so I had to drop the skid plate to find it.

One thing I noticed was that there was no gasket on my old thermostat. I'm the one that changed it out about 6-7 years ago. Did I not put a gasket in? (rhetorical question...) In all these years, it has never leaked, so I guess we dodged a bullet. Checked to see if the old gasket fell down or was stuck to the block. Nothing. and the mating surface was clean as a whistle.

Put in the new gasket, threaded the bolts back in, and torqued to 8 ftlbs (90 in-lbs or so), and refilled the rad. Its taken about 2 days to get the air bubbles to burp out, but seems to be running like a top!

The old coolant actually didn't even look that bad. I replaced with an aftermarket product which is still blue, and shows it is for Nissan/infinitis.

Next up, have to change out the power steering pressure line. Got a leak! Also a rack and pinion boot. Then we should be good to go for our trip!

t

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Good job! :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:37 am

Make sure you check the P/S return hose that runs along the lower passenger side of the engine compartment; it's a common area for leaks on these vehicles.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks SMJ, I did take a look, no oil down there, but the pressure line is soaked with PS fluid. Now that you said that, though, I wish I'd bought one as they go for like $15. We shall see what kind of shape its in.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:15 pm

So on the thermostat and coolant change. I use a Superchips tuner, which shows a read out of Engine Coolant Temperature. The reason I decided to pull the trigger on my thermostat was I was seeing temps and variation more than I liked. That coupled with the fact that it had been about 6 years or so since I changed it, for $30 I figured it was a good way to go. Usually about 185-195F, so not super hot. Though when pulling my trailer it would easily go to 215-225F, one time I watched it hit 230F on a really hot day.

However, now, my ECT readout will not exceed 177F in normal driving. I've double checked, I have heat at the rear vents, and the rad and resevoir are full.

Noticeably lower operating temp, and I think 177F is actually too low.

It is about 0C or 20F here in Winnipeg right now. I will keep an eye on it for sure though.

Thoughts?

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”