transmission fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Well just from reading on the Xterra and Frontier forums, a lot of guys on there that had their transmission flushed had other problems after the flush, hence why alot of them do the drain and refill every 30K or what they call is a poormans flush. They also mention that the reverse flow of the flush machine will send to contaminates back through the valve body and mess it up, of course there is more than one type of flush machine out there, so who know.

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Tech, thanks! Great explanation. It sounds like the aftermarket systems that Nissan recommends against must use an external pump, possibly moving the flow backwards through the system like XD9 mentions above. I assume Nissan has no problem with the system you use?

One bad thing I see is 20 liters of fluid. I believe my dealer charges about $12/qt = $240 plus labor. Wow!

Tech

Postby Tech » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:30 am

you can flush with less - it's up to you how thorough you want to be - i think the listed capacity is something like 11L. I would not attempt any reverse flushes. Especially in solenoid controlled valve bodies - ppl should know better. I've never had any issue and have literally done hundreds. If your mindfull of the direction and use the right stuff, you should be in good shape, but of course opinions vary as do experiences. Don't let me make you paranoid, drain and fill is better than nothing, right? it's good car-karma to spoil your pathy a bit, it'll appreciate it! expect 3-3/4L if you drain and fill. The transfer case takes the other auto trans fluid.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but the service manual say to replace the gasket on that drain bolt when doing the drain, anyone have a part number for that ? Also what is the fluid that is needed for a drain and fill ?

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:01 pm

same as oil drain plug gasket. Matic J

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks , so its not a gasket, but a crush washer ???

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:31 pm

you got it. I personally always change them, but i've seen lots of guys reuse with success.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Tech, say when doing simple drain and fill, is there a recommended amount of oil they put in at the dealer or do they actually fill and measure as they go? Say if i took the car in for a tranny drain and fill (no flush) and since I have the radiator cooler bypassed (hence less fluid in the system) - is there a risk of an overfill using recommended amount of oil as it will be too much oil due to the radiator cooler being bypassed? I think the rad cooler probably does not even get drained during simple drain and fill so it would not even matter, but just in case it does get drained, I may have too much oil in the system. What are your thoughts on this?

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 am

if you pick up (or borrow) an oil jug that has graduations (marked volumes) you can drain into that container, mark or note the amount removed and replace exactly that amount. That way you can never go wrong.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am

Tech, when pouring in new oil - does it go back through the dipstick tube?

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:02 pm

yuppers, remove the 10mm head bolts, pull out the stick, stick in a "transmission" funnel (narrower end than typical oil funnel) and refill as much as you removed. Let it sit a bit so all the fluid runs down the tube (makes checkeding easier) and recheck the level with vehicle running on a level surface in park.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”