2005 coolant expansion tank

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

FRD

2005 coolant expansion tank

Postby FRD » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:42 am

I think mine is leaking around the seam where the top and bottom come together, does not look like the cap or overflow line is letting it out. Is there a good way to test the tank, and where can I buy a tank besides the dealer? Can places test these little caps to see if that is my issue and do these go bad? Just looking for some direction and tired of smelling coolant whenever it is run for more than a short trip. Thanks...FRD

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:43 pm

here's a great leakage diagnosis method:
degrease, clean, and THOROUGHLY dry the suspect area
spray white footpowder (aerosol) onto the suspect area
monitor the area carefully
if the leak is there, it will become visible as the liquid sweats out into the coating of dried powder
hope this helps..........
good luck with your search!

Npath

Re: 2005 coolant expansion tank

Postby Npath » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

FRD wrote:I think mine is leaking around the seam where the top and bottom come together, does not look like the cap or overflow line is letting it out. Is there a good way to test the tank, and where can I buy a tank besides the dealer? Can places test these little caps to see if that is my issue and do these go bad? Just looking for some direction and tired of smelling coolant whenever it is run for more than a short trip. Thanks...FRD
When you got some time, stop by a radiator shop. Tell them you have a coolant leak and would like to get a free estimate and pressure test.

They'll take the cap off, and screw on a pressure tester. They'll let it sit for a while or maybe not, depending on how bad the leak is. Usually it'll take about 5 minutes to notice. While waiting, they'll also have a quick look around other places.

The shop will order a new radiator and install it for you. They may or may not order from the dealer as it depends on availability from another brand name.

They normally don't change the seals on plastic tanks due to the work involved putting it back together. It has to be exact or it won't seal and they'd have to do it all over again and the second time is the company's expense.

Good luck!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”