R51 Pathfinder TI 4.0 Liter Fuel gauge readings

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Tricky Dicky

R51 Pathfinder TI 4.0 Liter Fuel gauge readings

Postby Tricky Dicky » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:25 am

I am just wondering if in Europe if this car is delivered with a 60 liter tank.

My pathy's 4.0 liter Petrol fuel gauge and fuel computer that calculates distance to empty sure behaves as if it was designed for 60.

In Australia it has an 80 liter tank.
If I follow the gauges and fill on empty I can only add 60 liters. I am assured by the documents and Nissan it has an 80 liter tank.

I have reported this to Nissan and they have said the engineers are looking at it.
this in now 22 months later.
Must be a long hard look

I understand that this problem is also on other cars delivered in Canada anybody else having the same problem

Thanks Richard

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:45 am

My take on it is its just the automanu's artificially building in a safety cushion. I don't think my R51 has as big of a discrepancy as your reporting, but last week I drove it until the light came on, kept driving until the digital mpg available dropped to XX, then continued to drive for several more miles. Stopped and filled up and IIRC I still had over 2.6 gallons (roughly 10 liters) in the tank.

I posted a message on a german board about the tank size, but I thought all tanks were the same 80 liter/21 gal size.

***yes, the diesels also got an 80 liter tank***

But all my vehicles have had this discrepancy, including my 76 Pickup. Like I said, I think its just the OEM's erroring on the side of caution rather than take it to the edge.

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:52 am

I also have an R51 Ti with the same fuel guage problem - it says its completely out of fuel and then only takes 60 litres (out of 80L tank) on refill, which sort of makes the other 20 litres unusable. I reported the problem over a year ago, and have been told a nuber of times that the problem is being investigated. I heard this month that the fix is now ready, and parts are to be sent out to dealers around the end of Feb. Here's hoping !!

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:29 am

Hope we finally get the fix, I'll ring the dealer tomorrow, hey dcole13 where are you domiciled, I thought the Ti was an Oz nomenclature.
dcole13 wrote:I also have an R51 Ti with the same fuel guage problem - it says its completely out of fuel and then only takes 60 litres (out of 80L tank) on refill, which sort of makes the other 20 litres unusable. I reported the problem over a year ago, and have been told a nuber of times that the problem is being investigated. I heard this month that the fix is now ready, and parts are to be sent out to dealers around the end of Feb. Here's hoping !!

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm in Melbourne AUS. The info I got was from Nissan Customer Service through their Melb head office.

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:47 am

have you followed my thread on linking the memory seats to the keys?
have you mastered it, I finally and the book is way out. Nissan say it dont do it but it does.
dcole13 wrote:I'm in Melbourne AUS. The info I got was from Nissan Customer Service through their Melb head office.

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:56 pm

no I haven't seen your thread on memory seats to keys. i also couldn't get that to work and was told by Nissan that it wasn't supported on AUS models. Could you give me a pointer to that thread please ?

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 am

when i run till empty it takes about 65-72 litres so far . i've yet to run out of gas so i guess they build in a safety margin i'll let it run dry one day and see how much it takes so far 72 litres with 0 km dte has been the most

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:28 am

My vehicle's nearly 18 months old. The problem wasn't evident in the first 3-4 months, but after that its been happening consistently. More often than not, we experience a refill of 48-50 litres when the distance to empty indicator has hit zero. You know that there's plenty left in the tank at that point, but unless you monitor carefully how far you've travelled past that point, you can't comfortably continue for very long without refilling. I'll be calling the dealer in the next week to find out if the part(s) for the fix have come in.

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:07 pm

its the previous thread to this one, but if you wish you can send me a private email on this forum and i will step you through how mine works, its different to the book and all other models.
dcole13 wrote:no I haven't seen your thread on memory seats to keys. i also couldn't get that to work and was told by Nissan that it wasn't supported on AUS models. Could you give me a pointer to that thread please ?

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sat May 05, 2007 3:51 pm

I have just been informed parts are available and ready for fitting

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:57 pm

I received a call from Nissan Customer service last week, asking me which dealer I would prefer to have the parts sent to for the repair of this problem. I've nominated a dealer, and now have fingers crossed that I hear soon re getting the repair done.

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:02 am

I've had my Pathy in for a service this week, and they also replaced the fuel gauge sender unit to fix the incorrect fuel empty warning problem. So far it looks OK - i.e. the fuel level as shown on the guage looked a fair bit higher than when I left it with the dealer in the morning. Will be interesting to see how many litres it takes when the fuel warning comes on next time around.

dcole13

Postby dcole13 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:30 am

Fuel gauge sender unti was replaced last week, and problem seems to have been resolved. Used around 65 litres of fuel out of 80 litres capacity, before warning light came on. That compares with around 48 lites previously.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”