Long term Gibson owners

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bender031

Long term Gibson owners

Postby bender031 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:27 am

I am planning on getting the gibson catback system this spring, and i know there are a few threads on the install and initial thoughts regarding the system, i was curious, however, of the people who have had the system for a while, what are your thoughts, still notice the sound? still happy you got the system? any issues/rattles/squeeks lingering around? now that it is "broken in" does it sound any different?

Thanks!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:04 am

I say don't bother and wait for a better system to come out. Here's why:

1. Fitment. Everyone who got the system has had some sort of issue mainly around the rear crossmember area. I seem to have gotten it the worst from all my findings but noone has any amount of room back there. I feel a few more bends of very few degree's would help that situation a lot and not have a negative effect on flow or back pressure.

2. The system is not full stainless steel. The hangers are regular mild steel, welded to stainless then sprayed with silver/aluminized paint. On my kit I am 99% sure the front Y pipe is not stainless but aluminized steel as the last time I was under there it looked like it was discolored and starting to rust.

3. The sound to me is not all that good.

Take that with a grain of salt, I may have been a victim of a shitty system. My stuff was on backorder supposedly because Gibson ran out of a portion of the SS kit. So maybe I got a junk kit that was rushed into a package and had a poor QA team assigned.

I'm sure I'll be switching out in the future if anyone comes out with a better setup.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:37 am

Thanks for the honest review, i have been hesitant for a while, i wish there were more options for us. I had a borla on my explorer and loved it, the quality of that was top-notch. In addition it seems pricing went up on gibson systems for the new year...

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 pm

I hear you on Borla. I had one of their kits on a car of mine and it was very nice. Wish I had that option now. Or even at-least a Nismo option :-/

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:29 am

2nd the borla system . had it for 8 years anf 500,000km on my old explorer with no problems

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am

I just got my Gibson system installed this weekend. I had it professionally done and they said it was a pain for the pipe that goes over the axle.

sound is definetly louder and there's a bit more power. I wouldn't say 10%, more like 3-5hp.

They could have tuned the sound to be a bit more growly, but given that it's only a 6 cyl. there's only so much to work with.

One thing i notice is slight rattles when I'm idling at a stop light - I'll look into that on the weekend if the weather's nicer (not worth crawling under a dirty wet truck to fix something small)

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:46 am

ralphwiggums wrote: One thing i notice is slight rattles when I'm idling at a stop light
Besides all the reg stuff (heat shields, etc) check the clearance at the cross-member towards the back of the vehicle. That's where its tightest and is probably touching.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”