Gibson On the Way

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bender031

Gibson On the Way

Postby bender031 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 am

Just ordered the Gibson cat-back from autoanything.com Eager to see how it goes, I know there are mixed reviews. I looked into custom setups from 2 places and came back to my original plan.

I will have it installed on my upcoming oil change. I currently have the injen intake and run mobil 1. I plan to change out the remaining fluids (diffs and t-case) with synthetics as I am approaching 30k. I hope to see a slight MPG increase this summer.

I am hoping the gibson is not too loud, I really just want to open up those major restrictions (y-pipe and over the rear axle) but i know that in correcting that i will prob be adding some noise.

those that have it, it seems it isnt too much louder than stock...is that still the consensus? Any drone? Any "buzz"?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:21 am

I guess you are having a shop do the install? I would look over the other installs and give the tips to whomever installs the system for you. I think I remember something about the system not having a hanger in the rear section. I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in soon. Good luck with it.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:34 am

Please keep us posted on how the install goes, I'm curious to see if their fitment problems have been resolved.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 am

yeah, I have some friends who have a shop and do all my work. I will try to give them the heads up on the 'issues' others have encountered.

I think i may have them just use the supplied clamps and drive for a while to see if it needs some adjusting, then once it settles in and i confirm no rattles/issues, i will have them weld it in.

I will also keep you all posted on how the whole process goes.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Gibson On the Way

Postby blink32 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:01 pm

bender031 wrote:those that have it, it seems it isnt too much louder than stock...is that still the consensus? Any drone? Any "buzz"?
Don't worry about volume. Its barely noticeable except at WOT. At idle I can tell the volume is there, can hear it in the house, but its nothing like a Flowmaster 40. Taking off from a stand still again, noticeable but not like a glasspack.

Good luck on the install. Aside from my personal install problems, I'm not sold on the quality of the kit. I'm used to Stainless systems being fully Stainless. The kit I got had flanges, hangers and I believe some if not all of the welds were not SS. I'm very interested as well to hear if others hit any snags or if things have cleared up! Keep us updated.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:54 am

blink- thanks for your comments, performance-wise notice much?

I must admit, based on your previous comments about the SS system, and the fact that I am unsure i will be happy with the sytem, i purchased the aluminum system. I did not want to drop $500 on a SS system that i may end up butchering up or replacing because i am unhappy with the sound etc...After i analyze the system for a while i may only use parts of the system. I got the aluminum system to the door for $315. (could have got it for 280 a few months ago but prices went up around the new year.)

I figure if i do end up loving and keeping the system, it will last long enough that i feel i got my money's worth.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:00 am

Sounds like a good deal. Performance, ehh, I negated all my "improvements" with other improvements. Rack and tires in particular. I am hoping to dyno the thing this July at Turnersville Nissan's show/meet deal.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm

bender031 wrote:I got the aluminum system to the door for $315.
Where did you buy the system?
Complete kit, or individual part numbers?

Thanx

bender031

Postby bender031 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:43 am

silver- autoanything.com full aluminum kit, with y-pipe and polished stainless tip. listed at $350 or so, use discount code FULLSIZECHEVY for 10% off...and they always have free shipping.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:53 pm

bender031 wrote:silver- autoanything.com full aluminum kit, with y-pipe and polished stainless tip. listed at $350 or so, use discount code FULLSIZECHEVY for 10% off...and they always have free shipping.
Thanx. Keep us posted on the install and your impressions of quality, performance and sound.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:41 am

It is being installed today, I leave the vehicle at the shop to the end of the day and pick it up after work. So i will have feedback later tonigiht or tomorrow.

the system is HEAVY shipped weight was 54 lbs i think, the pipes seem to be thick-walled and the muffler is a beast. well-packaged, with protection on the ends of all the pipes, muffler in it's own box as well as the stainless tip in a box. directions are in sealed plastic. box came straight from gibson with a "factory sealed" lable on it and each item has the date manufactured on it (my parts were all manufactured in late march.)

I will keep you posted.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:32 am

I'm sure you are itching to get the truck back. Maybe you could make a wav or mp3 file of the new sound. I'll use it for my email notification for Nissan stuff.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:31 am

well I picked up my pathy after work last night and went out for a spin. the mechanics who installed it said it wasnt too bad of an install, the old system came out ok and in tact. the fit of the new system looks real good, everything lined up and the tip comes straight (parallel to the ground) out the back.
Sound-
Don't know about you guys by my pathy idles hi at start up, and the gibson gurgles nicely and as the rpms drop it levels out to a mellow growl. accelerating at a normal pace the sound is deep and mellow at the lower end of the rpms. at the higher rpms the engine and my Injen intake take over the sound and the exhaust is fairly un-noticable.

On the highway cruising at 60+ and rpms around 1900 it is a low hardly noticable tone and there is almost No cabin drone.
There is no "buzzy" sound either which i was a little concerned with, and it is not overbearing but definitely you know its not stock.

power/torque- driving to work on the same road i do every day, that has a slight increase in elevation i tend to keep track of where my car shifts, based on that, i'd say i did not lose any low end, and if any change, it was an improvement. high end on our pathys is pretty good so that it is, and i'd say the combo of the intake and new gibson definitely helps it out, it pulls hard all the way to 6k.

mpg-
i am going 4 hour trip on the pa turnpike this weekend, i will have a good idea of my mpg after that. i will report back on that.

sound clip-
i will try to get a sound clip of it at some point in the near future, don't think it will be until sometime next week but i will do my best to get it posted.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:11 am

Congrats on the Gibson!... I've liked mine from the start... Welcome to the club!........ Triffid

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 am

Excellent news!!! So your system goes all the way up the cats right? It replaces the factory Y pipe?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”