Probably a stupid question (air filters)

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm

You mean you all don't do that with your underwear??

:wink:

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:05 am

phantom2 wrote:amr...rotating your air filter is like turning your underwear inside out so they'll be clean.I must admit,you've given me a good laugh
I'd have to say that that....if I only had one pair and they had a brown stripe, they would be put back on inside out! Just like when the filter only had a brown spot on one side, I tossed it in the other way.

But seriously, how many miles are you guys going?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:56 pm

Rotating the filter sounds scarry ... I would think then you would just suck all the dirt the filter suspended right into the engine .... I didnt think it would even go in backwards ....

Heres the K&N how they work and why they are better ....http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:38 pm

I'm %99.999 sure he specifically means rotating, not flipping. (the filter, not the underwear ;-) )

-c

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:31 pm

NAKA24DE wrote: Heres the K&N how they work and why they are better ....http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
Isn't that sort of like going to ford.com to read all their "facts" about why Fords are better than other vehicles? Or all the websites that sell products which are supposedly better than the other guy for many different reasons? I'm not claiming snake oil here, but I'll be hard pressed to fully believe something coming straight from someone who's trying to sell something.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:38 am

NVSteve wrote:
NAKA24DE wrote: Heres the K&N how they work and why they are better ....http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
Isn't that sort of like going to ford.com to read all their "facts" about why Fords are better than other vehicles? Or all the websites that sell products which are supposedly better than the other guy for many different reasons? I'm not claiming snake oil here, but I'll be hard pressed to fully believe something coming straight from someone who's trying to sell something.
Yea, I know , but it is good reading , at least to see how they say they work ... I have never had an issue and have always made HP with them ..... so .... I guess if your concerned ... just stick with OE .....

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:02 am

NAKA24DE wrote: Yea, I know , but it is good reading , at least to see how they say they work ... I have never had an issue and have always made HP with them ..... so .... I guess if your concerned ... just stick with OE .....
Of course I browsed through their site & everything sounds absolutely wonderful. That was before I ordered the filter in the first place though. Have you looked at any of the other sites out there from different filter mfrs? If one were to only read the info from their sites, nobody would ever be able to make a decision because they are all superior to the others. I'm not sure when I'm going to install my filter, but I have decided to keep it. I guess I'll find out at that point if the K&N actually has substance behind their claims.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Fram Synwash air filters?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:42 am

Take it with a grain of salt, but every Dirt Bike I've ever owned, ridden, worked on has a oiled foam type filter. I can't personally recall a time where I pushed the Path in nastier conditions than my WR (Dust, Sand, Water/mud up to my Rad shrouds, and not to mention high speeds including the occasional bounce it off the 11.5k rev limiter.) There must be a reason OEM's put oil/foam filters on their bikes. Granted they are simpler engines but just 2 cents to throw down.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:28 am

Just a thought -- wouldn't a dirt bike filter be much more likely to get wet from time to time...probably woudn't be good to have a paper filter there. I know that my ATV's have always had foam filters, and they have also had drains in the air boxes so that if you happen to get in deep water it will drain back out. Of course you don't want to suck water into the motor on anything, but getting wet is a part of an off road toy's life.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Hydro lock=bad

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”