Normal values for engine load %

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Normal values for engine load %

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:53 am

Good day all,

I have the Superchips Cortex tuner, and one of the features is a real time display of 4 out of a number of pieces of data from the ECM. Some of these include Engine Coolant temp, Throttle Position, RPM, Vehicle Speed, some hex values for fuel injection, and engine load %.

I was just wondering if anyone else that has this tuner, or any hardware that reads this type of data could provide the value they get for engine load at idle in neutral, idle in drive, cruising at 100kph (62 mph) and 120 kph (75mph).

I remember playing with it when I first got the tuner 2 years ago, and the values seem higher now, and don't seem to make as much sense. For instance, my expectation for the data points I listed:

Idle in Neutral - expect near 0, actual around 13-20%
Idle in D - expect ~10%, actual 20-25%
Cruise at 100kph - expect 30%, actual 45-60%
Cruise at 120kph - expect 50%, actual 60-70%

Like I said, I seem to recall lower values when I first got the tuner, but honestly, I didn't record any info, and I could be out to lunch.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone can validate that the above actuals are somewhat normal. If they are not, any ideas on what could cause them to be so high?

As a side note, the value did not seem to change much when I turned off the AC. The numbers above are with the AC on though.

Thanks
t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 am

I guess also of note is that the truck drives as well as it ever has.

Fuel economy is down, but I attribute that to the monster LT265/75R16 REV02s on it. They are definitely alot heavier and have higher rolling resistance than my previous Coopers. So much so, I've contemplated changing tires again. I really like the look and the handling charactaristics of the REV02s though, so I don't think I'll be doing anything yet.

So the tires could be creating higher engine load, but they shouldn't have any effect when the vehicle is not moving...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”