Changing Front, Trans, Transfer & Rear Differential flui

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm

Hm, oops, I guess I never posted the data here. Some times when I write stuff for the magazine I forget to post it here later, my bad... But anyway, at 10K miles I changed the motor over to Mobil 1, front and rear diff and transfer case over to Redline synthetic gear oil. Redline nor any synthetic manufacturer at the time had a replacement for the Nissan Matic J, so I left the tranny alone. I did some carefully calibrated test drives on cruise control before and after and saw a 1MPG increase in fuel economy. My local Chevron Oil Stop shop did the work, the guys there have proven competent and they love it when I bring in my various cars. As always, YMMV...

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:09 pm

xxx
Last edited by Gray on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:52 pm

amr40509 wrote:So did you end up needind 3 or 6 of the seals -- Part # 11026-4N200 ??
Sorry on the delayed response, just got back to Jersey on my drive from Cali. You'll need 6 total. 2 per axle and 2 for the xfer case.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:15 am

Just took mine in for the transmission fluid flush/change at the dealer. They quoted me $93.19 for the change. Looks like it will need almost 11qts for the change. I called their parts dept. and they price the Matic J ATF at $9.15 a quart, so basically that would be $100 for the fluid. BUT there was a coupon for that dealer online for $79.95 that says it excludes Matic fluids. I asked the service guy about it and he said that he couldn't say either way, BUT if it were him he would bring it to the girl that works the payment counter when I pay and she would probably take it.

Also just got a call, I had them checking to see if the condition of the fluid as it tow a 4500lbs boat pretty much every weekend. They did say it was "slightly burned smelling, but not too bad."

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:17 am

What fluid are you guys using for the Transfer case? Nissan or another brand?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:34 am

The only places I use OEM fluids are in the coolant and transmissions. My xfer and diffs received Valvoline or Mobil 1 on my change.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 am

How difficult is it to refill the fluids? Judging from the service manuals, all the fill plugs are all on the sides. This seems like it could be difficult making sure all the fluid finds it's way in the housings (aka messy)!!

I'm looking to change these fluids myself, but not interested in getting fluid all over me, or my driveway for that matter. Keep in mind I won't be using a lift. Jackstands at best if needed.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 am

G35TR wrote:How difficult is it to refill the fluids?
I did mine w/o jacking it up (bigger tires and 2" lift) and I opt'd for the easy way and used a $7 fluid pump Pep Boys. It could be done finagling bottles sideways at this angle and that angle but the pump has already paid for its-self in easing that job and other jobs. There is also a more expensive pump, something like $12, that moves more fluid than the cheaper one. If I did it over I would have gotten that one if it was in stock at the time.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:24 pm

I changed my rear diff fluid tonight. First time since I have owned my P-finder. I figured it was past due with 53,900 miles. I bought it 14 months ago with 16,400 miles. I also bought my P-finder Nissan Factory Certified, but I dont know if the fluid has ever been changed before.

I decided to go with Mobil 1 75W 90. I use Mobil 1 in the engine, so what the heck.
How difficult is it to refill the fluids? Judging from the service manuals, all the fill plugs are all on the sides.
Changing the fluid is a breeze! All you need for tools is a ratchet and a 10 mm allen socket. In addition to that, to make the refill easy, I bought a $5 pump at Autozone that attaches to a standard 1 gallon container. I also got replacement drain/ fill plug seals at my local Nissan dealer. Both are the same seal. Nissan Part # 11026-4N200. BTW, for those that have a 2wd, you only need two of the seals.

The drain plug magnet had some greasy looking substance with some small metal particles. There wasnt anything large. I wiped it off easily with a shop rag. The drained fluid looked surprisingly good and wasnt much darker than the new stuff going in.

Before I put the drain plug back in to refill, I put it in the drain hole a couple times and rubbed the magnet around the opening to get any possible lose metal particles out.
I'm looking to change these fluids myself, but not interested in getting fluid all over me, or my driveway for that matter. Keep in mind I won't be using a lift.
I didnt spill a drop but I did use a lift. Changing it in the driveway shouldnt be too bad. The drain plug and fill plug are easily accessible. I had no problems removing or installing either of them with a 3/8 ratchet.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Just got done doing mine at 20K .... Trans and transfer were clean , front diff had some metal on the magnet but looked honey clean , rear diff. , yea, had some metal on the magnet, about the same as the front, but looked dark .... darker than expected at 20K , Mabie they use some sort of additive or the Synthetic oil they use is darker .... I ran Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic ... we will have to see what it looks like at the next 20K .... Mabie I will want to go to Redline shockproof ....

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 pm

amr40509 wrote:Rear final drive oil

Transfer fluid
ATX14B 3.0L or 3 1/8 qt Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF (Continental
U.S and Alaska)
I did my 30K maintenance and when I filled my T-case, it only took 1 and 3/4 quarts to fill. I drained the t-case well for 5mins and I made sure it's drained. I bought 4 quarts of Castrol Dextron IV ATF fluid and it to my surprise the fluid started oozin off the fill hole after pumpin 1 and 3/4 quarts. Did I messed up anywhere?

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I did the rear end yesterday. all in all a real easy job. I have 40,000 on the truck. the fluid coming out was a nasty brownish color and there was some junk on the magnet. I had my wife (really small hands) stick her finger in there and scrape out any sludge or whatever she could out of the bottom of the housing. I used this old fluid extractor/pump that looked like a grease gun to flush some new fluid through before reinstalling the plug and filling it up with the Mobile 1 75w-90 synthetic lube. I will be doing the front an a couple of weeks. I will let you all know how that turns out.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”