Newb here...question about rear heater lines

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:40 pm

If you go to a plumbers merchant they will have adapter fittings, you used to be able to get metric to imperial rings for compression fitting - from memory green rings.

If you are going from 16mm alu with rubber connector to a 12 mm pex maybe
http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Uponor- ... -x-1-2-PEX

This straight coupling is 12 to 12 but it could be adapted down the size with a jubilee clip, it says it need a tool to ft the ring but I would think most plumbers would do it for the cost of a pint.
I am in Canada another salt area and would look at running the entire length in pex and doing connection in a non wet environment.

RobG

Postby RobG » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:57 am

All fixed at last! I've bypassed the rear heat exchange unit by using the shorter of the two rubber hoses ( a U shape piece about 6-7 inches long) that run into the exchange unit behind the rear right wheel and fitting it to where I cut the coolant tubes just in front of the mid section exhuast silence box. Hope that makes sense, I didn't take pics i'm affraid, but it all works a treat except for the rear climate control which i'm not bothered about. Total cost, £1.60 for two pipe (jubilee in UK) clips and about an hour of my effort under the vehicle. Nissan can stick their £2,000 where the sun will never shine!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:54 am

asgard wrote:This straight coupling is 12 to 12 but it could be adapted down the size with a jubilee clip, it says it need a tool to ft the ring but I would think most plumbers would do it for the cost of a pint.
I am in Canada another salt area and would look at running the entire length in pex and doing connection in a non wet environment.
We were looking for alternate materials to use for our heavy duty vehicles, and PEX came up. I worked directly with the manufacturers, and none of them would certify that this material would be OK when exposed to coolant. Temp rating wise it seems to be a winner, but the chemical additives in the coolant seemed to spook them...

Do you have any experience with PEX on vehicles? Any resources you could point me to, I would love to get all the copper we're using (over 40ft, several runs for P/S, HVAC, water), as this material is bloody expensive.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”