Volant cold air intake installed today

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Storm4.0

Volant cold air intake installed today

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I just want to share pics of a great Christmas gift my wonderful Wife bought for me. I have been wanting a Volant CAI for a while now, ever since I had my K&N FIPK II. I sold the K&N because the shield that is around the filter isn't sealed and still draws hot air from the engine bay, plus the mounting setup sucks. I discovered the Volant setup and figured it was the best CAI on the market for fitment and the fact that it is truly cold air. The Volant system is completely sealed from the engine bay, and it even has a ram-air scoop that comes with our fitment. I installed it today and I gotta say that it is MUCH better than the K&N. The fitment is stock-like and the only issue I had is that they didn't package the 2 bands that hold the ram-air scoop on (I ended up using the stock ones). Aside from trimming the plastic sheild next to the radiator the install was smooth. I'll have to give an update on the mileage and performance after I have it on for a couple hundred miles to let the ecm adjust itself.

RxZ

Postby RxZ » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Looks really good! Don't forget about that update in a few weeks. I am thinking of getting one as well, but will probably leave it stock if it doesn't improve things since it is my wife's ride. Either way though, that looks great!

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:00 pm

The filter bracket on the Nismo cold air intake I have has broken apart two times on me and I've had to weld it back together. This looks like a way better set up than that. I may have to make the switch.

GeddyLee

Postby GeddyLee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 pm

That is truly one nice setup! I just checked out their site for the CAI combo, they sure dont come cheap!!! But seeing how well it is made and the quality of the filter their use, its pretty darn understandable why they created such a fine item.

I think I might have to say up for this one. Which filter did you go with? The old style cone one or did you go with the big old round cone design shown in most of their pictures and videos?

Your wife made an excellent pick indeed! Cudos to her!

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:32 pm

GeddyLee, She got the one with the oiled filter, it's a little cheaper, but I don't mind re-oiling it when I clean it. The cone filter is actually on top of the battery in the first pic. She fessed up that she ordered it from Autoanything.com and with 15% holiday special + free shipping it was $243.00 to our door, that is alot cheaper than my K&N was. The model number is 12640 and the more expensive oilless one is the 126406.

pawjr74, does the NISMO bracket mount to the bracket (that has the chassis ground and hold the EVAP purge tube) on the timing chain cover? If so, that is what made me mad about the K&N setup it broke all of the time, I bought a nice shiny new (no welds) EVAP bracket to go with my intake (now that it dosen't mount there).

GeddyLee

Postby GeddyLee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Storm4.0 wrote:GeddyLee, She got the one with the oiled filter, it's a little cheaper, but I don't mind re-oiling it when I clean it. The cone filter is actually on top of the battery in the first pic. She fessed up that she ordered it from Autoanything.com and with 15% holiday special + free shipping it was $243.00 to our door, that is alot cheaper than my K&N was. The model number is 12640 and the more expensive oilless one is the 126406.
Thanks for the reply back, yeah I didnt look hard enough the first time around, and when I saw the filter, I was like DOH! So I just left it in there :) And that price is definitely A LOT cheaper than from the company's price. I am curious about their micro filter though, its an interesting concept. But like you, I am not sure about the price tag associated with it :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 am

Nice! This has been the only CAI that I've kept in the back of my head, as the others all seem to be worse than the stock intake. Let us know if you have noticeable gains in anything, is it loud, etc.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 am

NVSteve, it definitely gained some power, I don't have to push the gas pedal as hard now to get giong. As far as mileage I averaged another tank out and I got 15.8 mpg with quite a bit of agressive driving, and I would have got right at 14.4 mpg . I also idled it every day on that tank to warm it up in the mornings. So, it made an improvement on my mileage, not alot but every little bit helps. And if noise is a factor then you don't want it. It is every bit as loud, if not louder, than my K&N was. You'll still be able to hear you music over it but from 4000-6500 rpm you will know it's there. I took a crappy vid with my cell phone to give you an idea of the sound. But the sound quality isn't good on my cell, I might try to get vid of it with my HD cam to give you a better idea of the sound.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 am

That sounds nice and throaty. If you get a chance to get some HD footage, by all means post it. It looks like you went with the gauze filter & not the powercore? I'd have to go with a prefilter as well, with the dusty conditions I'm usually in. Thanks for posting the info.

Solid305

Postby Solid305 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting up pics of the intake. I was on the fence about which intake to get and this tread sealed the deal. I put in the order a couple days ago with the power core from autoanything.com. Looking forward to it!!!

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I thought about the power core, but I don't really have alot of dusty conditions. So I didn't care if she didn't pay the premium for the power core (I'm def not going to complain!) I also have to deduct the $20 rebate and another $10 for the review, so it's at $213.00 to our door... the power core would be nice though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

fincsher

Postby fincsher » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm

That's really a great pics. of your Pathfinder Storm4.0. Keep us on updates on the cold air intakes for sale like K&N AEM and injen and great works. :D
Last edited by fincsher on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhatFront

Postby PhatFront » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

just ordered mine this past weekend. Volant makes quality stuff, and you cant beat that price!

PhatFront

Postby PhatFront » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 am

Installation was somewhat a pain. I had to relocate my horns, and there is still an AC vac canister in the way. Volant said not to use the RAM air piece on Pathfinders?
I got the install done last night, but I'll see how I can move that can so I can use the RAM scoop as well.
Very happy with the results. Sound great and gained a little pep too.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

PhatFront, I had no problem installing the ram-air on my Path, I didn't have anything in the way. Can you relocate the vac canister to the front of the radiator?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”