After Market Air Intake kits... Which ones are ya'll using?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:45 am

The K&N kit arrived today! :D Installation this weekend.

bati, I will post pics asap.

1/4 ET results after next wednesday (the 23rd)... weather permitting. :wink:

RBOWWOW

Postby RBOWWOW » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:04 pm

RBOWWOW wrote:
LittleStevie wrote:I'd stay away from that K&N stuff. I recently converted back to stock cellulose after using a K&N drop-in for about 10k miles. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone did some filtration efficiency tests where the K&N let a lot of dirt by. There's also the opportunity to screw your MAF sensor if you over-oil the filter.

K&N is known for high flow applications, especially racing. You might get a little more air flow, but at the expense of engine longevity and durability. Besides, the change in performance, if there was any, was not even perceivable. Not worth reducing your engine life, IMO.

The stock airbox is pretty large on the R51 Pathy, but I'm sure that a CAI would help. How much is the question. I'm not about to spend $200 and more for a measly 5 hp.
I jsut got the Fram Air Hog - will advise after some miles.
Update - mileage is down, from 15.8 to 14.4...hmmm

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I put the K&N kit in friday night. It took me a little over an hour, with help from a mechanic friend of mine. That included removal of the OEM stuff.
Installation was easy. The instructions were pretty clear and complete. No real problems.

Here are some pics.

As for the sound of it...

At idle, I dont really notice the sound difference.
At highway speed, it has a low tone noise. If I am talking with passengers, or playing music, I dont notice it at all.
Under harder acceleration, like from a stop OR trying to pass, it gets pretty loud... Sounds good. :wink:
If I floor it, while going highway speed (60mph plus), it roars! You can hear it sucking in the air, big time. Everyone that has heard it so far thinks it sounds great.

Performance...

Seems to give a real kick after 3,500 rpm. That would be about consistent with K&N's dyno chart. The dyno chart shows hp gain starting a little before 3,700 rpm and continuing to at least 5,700.

Here is a link to K&N's dyno chart
http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-6014.pdf

I am supposed to go to the drag strip this wednesday night. There is rain in the forecast from today thru wednesday though. If it gets cancelled, I will get down there asap so I can post results.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:35 pm

BMXPath wrote: I am supposed to go to the drag strip this wednesday night. There is rain in the forecast from today thru wednesday though. If it gets cancelled, I will get down there asap so I can post results.
Looks good! Let us know if it's worth the $200. I'm curious to see if you see any change in times at the strip.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:23 am

That's a clean setup. I'm sure the bulk of the time was taking out the stock stuff. Makes the engine look a little neater and less cluttered. I miss the old days of no plastic coverings so you could see the engine. Of course there are a lot more wires than there used to be.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:07 am

I can think of better ways of getting retail therapy.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 am

I can think of better ways of getting retail therapy.
What is "retail therapy"? Honestly, what do you mean by it?

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 am

BMXPath wrote:What is "retail therapy"?
Retail Therapy

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks for the definition.

I think most of my purchases could be concidered "retail therapy" :wink: Even when I bought my Pfinder.

Maybe the real therapy for me is when I go to the drag strip... Yeah!

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Not a comparision with what you installed BMX but here's a fairly good study on various types of drop in air filters as to air flow and filtration;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Goes without saying that the best flow was with no filter and it's interesting how much pressure drop the air filter tubing created but more interesting are the amounts of particles that get past all filters.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Sure enuff drag races were rained out yesterday. :x

Its only because me and a buddy of mine have both done some mods since our last trip down the 1/4 in Dec. I will try to go tomorrow, weather permitting. If not, we are planning on going Feb 6th.

Again, I will post results here as soon as I get 'em.

RxZ

Postby RxZ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 am

Its not Feb 6 yet, but I didn't want this thread to get lost...

Good luck at the track, hopefully you get some good results!

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am

RxZ,

Thanks for the interest. I wasnt going to let the topic get lost. Just waiting for tomorrow night. Didnt want to get my hopes up, or anyone elses, if it got rained out again. :wink:
Weather report looks great so far! No rain in the forecast. Hi temp about 69F, low 38. It will be about 58 deg when I get there in the evening. About 47 by the time they close. Almost the same temps as when I went in Dec.

ManuPath

Postby ManuPath » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 pm

So?
We are the Feb 7 now... ;)

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Sorry gang. I am not leaving ya' hanging.
I did go racing last night. Got home about 1 am. Had to get up and go to work about 7. Just been busy at work, I am workin' on my report as I can...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”