Weird VDC stuff

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

Weird VDC stuff

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:14 pm

Don't quite know what to make of this. Yesterday was the second, possibly third time in my one year ownership of this truck that the VDC dash light came on for no apparent reason.

I was creeping up the ramps in a parking garage, and the VDC light came on. Toggling the switch on the dash did nothing. I parked, took care o' bidness, climbed back in and restarted the engine - no VDC light.

A few months ago, I was driving down a street at about 40 mph, and the light came on. Just like yesterday, toggling the switch did nothing. I parked at a store, went inside, then a few minutes later came out and restarted the engine - no VDC light.

Anybody else ever see this happen?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Weird VDC stuff

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm

SilverGhost wrote:
Anybody else ever see this happen?
Oh yeah. I've had it happen maybe 6 or 7 times in the 11 months I've owned mine. Usually, I'll be driving along and happen to glance down and notice that it is on. Once I turn off the engine, it seems to reset itself. About 2 weeks after I took delivery of mine, the VDC and SLIP lights came on. I ended up taking it to the dealer the next day, when the lights were obviously no longer on, just so they could see if there was a problem. Nothing. In the last 3 months, it has been kicking in as expected, then going off as expected when the VDC is no longer needed. I've had those situations pretty much daily for the past month and a half because of all the snow and ice on the roads, but I'm just glad the thing seems to be operating the way it should now.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 pm

SilverGhost wrote:Don't quite know what to make of this. Yesterday was the second, possibly third time in my one year ownership of this truck that the VDC dash light came on for no apparent reason.
By VDC light do you mean the VDC/OFF light or is there another light which comes on when the vehicle kicks in the TCS/VDC as it's termed in the service manual? I've never seen the VDC/OFF dash light come on unless I pressed the control switch.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Greybrick wrote:By VDC light do you mean the VDC/OFF light or is there another light which comes on when the vehicle kicks in the TCS/VDC as it's termed in the service manual? I've never seen the VDC/OFF dash light come on unless I pressed the control switch.
As I read the user manual, the SLIP warning light comes on when traction control limits wheel spin. The VDC light supposedly only comes on when the VDC/Off switch is toggled off. In my case, both the VDC/Off light and the SLIP light came on simultaneously on at least two occasions. Both times, I was driving slowly on a smooth, dry concrete surface - there was no wheel spin, and I hadn't touched the VDC switch.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks SG, somewhere I read on a Nissan 350z car forum that the fix for when the Slip and/ or VDC light comes on by itself and when not in use in a slippery road condition is to have the brake system bled, a service manager should know more about it though. I don't know how this would help but maybe the system sensors are brake pressure related. Do your brakes feel spongy or have a long depress length, on this truck these brakes have been getting a little spongy lately so it's something I'll keep an eye on, thanks for posting about the problem.

If you haven't had any non-dealership work done on the brake system and it's been an intermittent occurance since new a dealership may bleed the system for you at no cost if you catch the right service manager in a good mood. :)

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Greybrick wrote:Do your brakes feel spongy or have a long depress length
They've been spongy (compared to the 40-50 other vehicles I have owned) since day-one. And, no, no non-dealer work has been performed on the brakes. The truck has less than 7k on the odo, so there's been no need for brake work.

That said, thanks for the tip on bleeding the brake lines. I had simply presumed that the soft, long-throw pedal was characteristic of the R51. If that's not the case, it's off to my dealer to have that done. As a sidebar, that soft pedal (combined with my inattention) contributed to the bumper-bender I got into a couple of months ago. :cry:

Do you happen to have a link to the 350Z board posting that you mentioned?

Dave

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Sorry Dave, I couldn't find the exact thread that mentions bleeding the brake system which I guess would involve doing all four wheels, etc, but here is a thread on a similar problem from Nissanhelp on 350z's, with a mention of 'low brake fluid level' setting off the lights. At 7000K you shouldn't have any trouble talking the dealership into trying a brake bleed though, I'd tell the service manager 'safety concerns about abnormally spongy brakes'.

I remember when taking the PF off the lot my first impressions were like this truck's steering or alignment is really the pits, but wow these brakes rock and are working like a sports car with less than a half inch travel, and even now they are still not too bad with about an inch or a little more of play. I owned a first year four disc Turbo Volvo for some years and Volvo had a whole manual section written outlining why to keep the brakes bled, how to do it properly, how much brake travel was normal, signs and symptoms of brake problems, etc. Wish I had that car again, highway cruising at 100 - 110 mph felt really safe, even if it really wasn't. :D

Last edited by Gray on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:23 pm

GB -

I've owned my share of Deutsche-built machines - four Audi's, three VW's and an ill-fated Beemer 5-series, plus a 'Vette, two Acura's, two Infiniti's, two Mazda's and my fair share of GM and Ford shlock. All, including the Isuzu Trooper I traded for the R51, had way more responsive brake feel than my PF. Two inches of pedal travel before the doughballs compress is scary as Hell in panic stop mode!! :shock:

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Dave, 2 inch brake pedal play sounds a bit much and maybe even dangerous. I hadn't given the brake system much thought as this one's been working pretty well so far, but I recall seeing some various length Nismo stainless braided hoses the other day that caught my eye.

Last edited by Gray on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Stillen has a full set of SS lines for the Pathfinder.

The Pathfinder's peddle travel is a bit long, no doubt, but comparing it against a VW isn't really fair. On VWs you modulate the brakes by how much pressure you give it, not travel, 'case they barely move :wink:

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm

RacerZX wrote:The Pathfinder's peddle travel is a bit long, no doubt, but comparing it against a VW isn't really fair. On VWs you modulate the brakes by how much pressure you give it, not travel, 'case they barely move :wink:
Agreed. In all fairness, the 2-inch pedal travel I mentioned may be a bit of a stretch. It's prolly more like 1 1/2 inches. That's okay, I guess, and I can adapt. But my issue is that once the pedal is down, the binders still aren't as responsive as I would like. Guess it comes down to personal preference.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Just wondering how you are making out with brake problems and what the fix might be for spongy brakes, somewhere I saw something about a support bracket /stand for the brake master cylinder which may help depending how it's designed.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:58 am

Greybrick wrote:Just wondering how you are making out with brake problems and what the fix might be for spongy brakes.
Haven't made to the dealer, yet, to have a conversation with them about it. Just livin' with it, for now.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”