Coolant top off

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

khaosduke

Coolant top off

Postby khaosduke » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:30 pm

I've been having a problem where the engine seems to be overheating when stopped in heavy traffic for long periods of time. I noticed this because my AC appears to stop working and blows hot air but once the car gets moving and the temp gauge goes down it blows cool air again. I checked my coolant level and it's below min. The car has about 52k miles on it and I feel like just topping it off with prestone pre mix would be the way to go since the next time I bring it in at around 60-65k miles I'm going to have the ATF changed and they'll also change the radiator coolant as part of the service.

Any opinions on this? BTW it's an 05 LE. Thanks!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:44 am

adjusting the low coolant level is certainly a good idea
there is a simple procedure for "burping" the system in the event there is an air pocket trapped in the system
be sure to use a coolant that is compatable with that in the system
also be sure the coolant level hasn't dropped due to leakage into the transmission due to the dreaded radiator failure issue :shock:

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:09 am

The coolant leaking into the transmission is what scares me the most!

There are no external leaks, as I see no fluid coming out any ware but I'm thinking if enough coolant is leaking into the transmission to to drop the coolant level dramatically then the transmission would have likely crapped out on me already. I will still check the ATF dip stick though. I also see no milky fluid in the radiator cap.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:16 am

khaosduke wrote:The coolant leaking into the transmission is what scares me the most!
there is a radiator warranty extension that should cover you if it is a defective radiator
if it's not defective, you can bypass the trans cooler in the radiator easily, and avoid the problem entirely

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Assuming the coolant in the system is a 50/50 mix just grab a jug of distilled water and top off. No concerns with blending different coolant types this way.

khaosduke

Leak

Postby khaosduke » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Well, I know I've got a leak. I can smell it but I can't see it. I don't see a pool or anything on the ground. It's a slow non-visible leak. Truthfully, I do not even know where to start in trying to find this leak. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Leak

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 am

khaosduke wrote:Well, I know I've got a leak. I can smell it but I can't see it. I don't see a pool or anything on the ground. It's a slow non-visible leak. Truthfully, I do not even know where to start in trying to find this leak. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
if it's an external leak (that you can smell), it's probably around the radiator somewhere
pull the front undercover (the one with the oval-shaped hole for changing the oil filter) and inspect the radiator, top to bottom, side to side for any sign of coolant leaking
if its' OK, do the by-pass while you're there :wink:
otherwise, i'd suspect the coolant reserve tank or its' plumbing
pressure test the system

dawgn86

Re: Leak

Postby dawgn86 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:32 pm

khaosduke wrote:Well, I know I've got a leak. I can smell it but I can't see it. I don't see a pool or anything on the ground. It's a slow non-visible leak. Truthfully, I do not even know where to start in trying to find this leak. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Khao...if you find it, please let me know. I have an 06 PF and at times, after pulling into the garage, I smell coolant.I dont have any temp problems that I know of..did the bypass several months ago and coolant is dark green and full.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:10 pm

I had the same/similar issue... and discovered that there was a small pinhole near the radiator cap on the back side facing the engine. I never saw a drop of fluid. Spurred me to REPLACE the radiator, as I was already leery of the issues with the barrier between the transmission fluid and antifreeze anyway.

khaosduke

found it

Postby khaosduke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 pm

I found my coolant leak, its on the rear lines near the clamp (I saw a thread about this actually) I m going to try the fix they suggested. That is to have the section cut out and replaced with tubing.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Nice find. I would do the cut and replace method as well.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes, especially living in the salt belt! Snow, ice, salt is the norm here in PA so might as well avoid more metal :)

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 am

Here is part of the fix, we cut the lines all the way up to where the plastic bracket is, so we got rid of 2 corroded clamps. Then ran 5/8 heater hose and zip tied them tight so they don't ride on the exhaust. I might go get tape to protect some more from heat. I'll also try to post pictures of the other side if I can get the camera in there.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”