Oil Pressure Gage

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:15 am

BroadlandsPath wrote:So my recommendation if you are concerned about the oil pressure gauge readings have an oil pressure test done to confirm that there are no problems.
Completely agree. I did have my local mechanic hook up a manual gauge, and all was good. I was pretty worried, but now I know its not a pressure issue at least.

Winky

Postby Winky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:40 pm

My Miata has the same type of fake oil gauge. So many people hate them that there is a whole forum section devoted to converting it to a real one.

alecsey

VIDEO: Oil Pressure Needle drops when idling 06 Pathfinder

Postby alecsey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Please take a look at my video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzFyHxzTTI0 of oil pressure gauge of 06 Pathfinder with needle turning lower while idling at red light. The needle also constantly moves up and down. Once the car starts moving the needle goes back up and keeps steady at the same level. Please can anybody suggest if this is normal or not. Thank you!

I just changed oil and oil filter 100 miles ago and this new behavior of the oil pressure gauge occurred right away. I did 2 new things this oil change -- i used cheap oil filter Purolator L14610 and I added Restore Engine Restorer and Lubricant, 6 Cylinder formula. Before that the oil pressure needle was rock solid at the same level hot cold driving or idling.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:39 am

Hmmm. Well I'm pretty sure most on this forum would recommend against using any kind of magic goop in your crankcase. In fact, I had a similar situation on my 05. I used some Lucas Oil Synthetic Stabilizer, and within about a month, the sending unit for my oil pressure went bad. No long lasting ill effects on my engine so far (this was about 50k kms ago), but I was quite worried for a while, until I got the oil pressure checked by a mechanic. Oil pressure was fine, but my sensor was shot. Now it reads at H all the time, as indicated in posts above.

I can't tell you that the additive caused the sensor to fail, I can't prove it. But its pretty coincidental that it happened at exactly the same time, no?

Anyways, back to your situation. If you are concerned, have your oil pressure checked. Oil pressure is pretty important, and failure of the oil pump does not occur that often, but considering the failure mode, it would be good to rule it out!

Good luck.
t

alecsey

RE: Oil Pressure Needle drops when idling 06 Pathfinder

Postby alecsey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 pm

I now pretty sure that the cause of fluctuating oil pressure was oil filter. On Nissan Pathfinder LE 2006 oil pressure gauge sowed low pressure while idling in drive -- I had Purolator L14610 oil filter installed. After I changed oil and oil filter back to Nissan OEM the problem was gone.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”