Front and rear differentials

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Front and rear differentials

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:45 am

Okay, I did search here but didn't find conclusive info, so I will pose the question.

I know my 2005 R51 SE (non-off road) has a LSD rear, but what about the front? Is that an LSD also?

Now a dumb question......what is the difference between a locker and an LSD on these trucks?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Front and rear differentials

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 am

nutbar78 wrote:I know my 2005 R51 SE (non-off road) has a LSD rear, but what about the front? Is that an LSD also?
No it doesn't. You have ABLS (Anti-lock Brake Limited Slip) set up on a wide open diff in the back (and the front by the way, too). You know, the ABS kicking in on the spinning side to throw power to the other side. It works fairly well in light duty situations, but anything heavy its pretty useless. Where did you see that its LSD?
nutbar78 wrote:Now a dumb question......what is the difference between a locker and an LSD on these trucks?
The reason you need a locker is that its a wide open diff.

t

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 am

I've used the abls alot last winter with the 20" of snow we got here in Chicago. My driveway is on a hill and with out the abls I would of never got up it. Next door driveway is the same as mine and with there 4x4 blazer never made it 1/2 way. I also wheel my PF when I go to the lake to fish with my boat trailer and with 3-4" of loose mud the abls works great. You just need to have the wheels spining.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks guys.

@Disallow - I feel llike I remember reading a post here, someone telling another member to jack up his rear end and turn one wheel. He said that he should see both tires rotating in the same direction.

Is it safe to say that a real LSD is better than the ABLS?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 am

Captain Smoke Eater wrote:I've used the abls alot last winter with the 20" of snow we got here in Chicago. My driveway is on a hill and with out the abls I would of never got up it. Next door driveway is the same as mine and with there 4x4 blazer never made it 1/2 way. I also wheel my PF when I go to the lake to fish with my boat trailer and with 3-4" of loose mud the abls works great. You just need to have the wheels spining.
Agreed that the ABLS is great on ice and snow, even very deep snow. In those cases I feel ABLS is superior to some of the posi and LSD vehicles I've driven.

But in muck and sand, you need the lock that LSD or lockers give you. Very tire dependent too.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:06 am

disallow wrote:
Captain Smoke Eater wrote:I've used the abls alot last winter with the 20" of snow we got here in Chicago. My driveway is on a hill and with out the abls I would of never got up it. Next door driveway is the same as mine and with there 4x4 blazer never made it 1/2 way. I also wheel my PF when I go to the lake to fish with my boat trailer and with 3-4" of loose mud the abls works great. You just need to have the wheels spining.
Agreed that the ABLS is great on ice and snow, even very deep snow. In those cases I feel ABLS is superior to some of the posi and LSD vehicles I've driven.

But in muck and sand, you need the lock that LSD or lockers give you. Very tire dependent too.
I agree that tires are a must. If you watch alot of youtube vids of PF offroad they have street tire on and not AT/MT on. I have BFG A/T on and with 6-10" of nasty mud at the lake I never had a problem with traction.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a LSD in both front and rear diffs, and it was great. I've yet to try the ABLS of my pathfinder, so we will see how they compare.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”