Oil changes

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Oil changes

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:15 pm

So I was reading the service manual RacerZx was kind enough to post and the section about changing the motor oil was very specific about installing a new washer when re-plugging the oil pan. Then below is stated in BOLD BE SURE TO INSTALL A NEW WASHER.

Does anybody actually install a new washer? Anybody know what size the washer is? I think there is something listed in the service manual but it was greek to me. I'd rather pick up a few before I drain all the oil out of the motor and then find out I HAVE to get a new one.

Also, can you really access the oil filter through that little hole Nissan had the bright idea to cut into the front skid plate?

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Yeah I saw another discussion on the washers. I personally use nylon ones I find at the auto store here. As for the the little oil filter access I just drop the skid plate and it takes maybe an hour when i'm taking my time.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am

I have never replaced the washer, 50k miles and no issues. I remove the access cover in the skid plate to let the oil from the filter drain out. I reach around the skid plate to remove and install the oil filter.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 am

When I bought ATF at my Nissan dealer, they gave me about 10 of the copper crush washers, but to buy them, they are cheap anyway.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:37 am

You can find them on line for $.70 or get them from the dealer for $1.00. I know it seems petty but if the instructions say to do it you should.

Moto

Postby Moto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 am

I generally don't replace my washer after every oil change. The copper washers tend to last a while. I would hesitate to use a Nylon washer. Nylon cold creeps over time and will eventually loose its compressive nature. The end result will be a leak, or worse, your plug backs out because there is no compression on the threads and you'll have a much larger problem.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”