Wondering what is going on with Service Engine Soon light...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

aadadams

Wondering what is going on with Service Engine Soon light...

Postby aadadams » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:25 am

It came on the other day and stayed on while I ran errands then when I got ready to take it to have the code read the light disappeared. Days later it came back. Not sure how to hit the moving target. (In my Acura, this light comes on when I need oil changes every 7500 miles. Is it similar in the Acura?)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:14 am

Double check your Acura. I had an Acura RSX before and there were two lights. The light for the oil changes was a maintenance light not a check engine light.

Now for your pathfinder the light came on as something triggered the check engine light. While still driving, the code was cleared as the problem was fixed. I think it's around 30 miles once the check engine light is triggered and fixed for it to clear on it's own. You possibly could have a bad tank of gas. I've seen this before as it makes you have a misfire or the O2 sensors pick up a bad burn.

Hope that helps.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:21 pm

volvite wrote:Double check your Acura. I had an Acura RSX before and there were two lights. The light for the oil changes was a maintenance light not a check engine light.

Now for your pathfinder the light came on as something triggered the check engine light. While still driving, the code was cleared as the problem was fixed. I think it's around 30 miles once the check engine light is triggered and fixed for it to clear on it's own. You possibly could have a bad tank of gas. I've seen this before as it makes you have a misfire or the O2 sensors pick up a bad burn.

Hope that helps.
I've had three Acuras and I can't be sure of the "exact" statement without reading it from the dash (It's a shame, I know, SMH), the last two of mine were TL's though, may make a difference. At any rate, I would make a serious distinction between a Service Engine Soon and a Check Engine light. The latter would cause me to shut it down and seek a tow and a tech. Is the SES light on the pathfinder the equivalent of check engine? I need to RTFM this evening! Thanks for helping though!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Didn't mean anything by my last statement.

Our pathfinders only have and SES=Service Engine Soon light that you saw flash. Do you by chance have an owners manual? If not here is what it states:

If this indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control malfunction. Fuel cap, or possible engine misfire. "You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer."

Like you stated, without it being on, you can't really have the codes read. However if it's on, you don't need a dealer, you can take it to most car part stores and have the code read for free.

Hope some of that helps.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:18 pm

volvite wrote:Didn't mean anything by my last statement.

Our pathfinders only have and SES=Service Engine Soon light that you saw flash. Do you by chance have an owners manual? If not here is what it states:

If this indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control malfunction. Fuel cap, or possible engine misfire. "You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer."

Like you stated, without it being on, you can't really have the codes read. However if it's on, you don't need a dealer, you can take it to most car part stores and have the code read for free.

Hope some of that helps.
Thanks! I will take it to advance and see which code is responsible. I have done plenty to it recently. Changing air filters, brakes, and replaced the radiator to name a few... I also inadvertently (complete accident) refilled with 93 octane after this truck only running 87 throughout its life. Could disappear in a matter of miles after it adjusts, but I will have the code read just the same. Thanks for checking in and advising!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:29 am

No problem. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on. Let us know what you find out.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”