2009 pathfinder

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

paul byrne

2009 pathfinder

Postby paul byrne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

engine turns over but will not start. Shut off and try again and eventually starts right up. does not have any given time or day. Will go for a week and no problem or may go for an hour and problem happens. Been in shop four times and Nissan had it for a week. replaced chip in key checked all diagnostics and cannot first of all get it to happen which i do not believe and secondly cannot fix. I am second owner and had less than two months. Wifes car and not pleased. If she is not pleased neither am I if you know what i mean. Need Help and suggestions

Npath

Re: 2009 pathfinder

Postby Npath » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 am

paul byrne wrote:engine turns over but will not start. Shut off and try again and eventually starts right up. does not have any given time or day. Will go for a week and no problem or may go for an hour and problem happens. Been in shop four times and Nissan had it for a week. replaced chip in key checked all diagnostics and cannot first of all get it to happen which i do not believe and secondly cannot fix. I am second owner and had less than two months. Wifes car and not pleased. If she is not pleased neither am I if you know what i mean. Need Help and suggestions
Sounds like the enfamous ECM relay... electronic control module inside the IPDM... intelligent power distribution module. You'll find it in the black box to the left inside the engine compartment.

If the engine dies while running, sputters, wants to die when slowing... more than likely it's the ECM. It looks like a fuse and it's about a $3 replacement on ebay.

Rebel

Postby Rebel » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 am

Battery. Same thing happened to my 2005. There's a few other post on the subject. Can try searching for them, but just take the battery in and have it tested, more than likely it's just under the starting amps required. Or better yet just try jumping it right off the bat, if it starts then that's your problem. Keep us posted on what you find.

My symptoms were similar but it almost always seem to start on the second attempt, only a couple of morning (below 10 degree F) it wouldn't start on the second try and took a third try. Thought it was the fuel pump. Replaced the battery and never had a problem again.

Alex

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 am

+1 on that. A weak battery can cause all sorts of havoc. I had my truck go dead on my in a car wash once, lights were on a little too long. Got the old relay 'click-click-click-click' from under the hood. Had to disconnect the battery, and call my buddy for a boost.

If it didn't have extra load put on it, it was fine. Still keep the battery in my garage as is still 'sort of' works.

t

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 am

another +1
typical symptoms of a failing battery, and for some reason the most overlooked possibility when this problem happens :?

paul byrne

Postby paul byrne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 pm

i appreciate all the responses. haven,t tried ecm yet but pathfinder runs good just will not start every now and then. If you turn key off and attempt to start again, it will start like nothing ever was wrong. the battery was replaced within the first week of purchasing the vehicle for other reasons and after the battery was replaced this problem began. I will have battery checked and suggest the ecm but the dealer really doesn,t do anymore than they have to until it's out of warranty, then the problem is yours.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”