Need help with some tranny symptons, no fluid mixing.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

PC05

Need help with some tranny symptons, no fluid mixing.

Postby PC05 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:14 pm

I Have an 05 with 75k. It is shifting hard once it warms up from stop into first, then seems to shift into 2nd gear fairly quickly. Then when going up a grade while vehicle is in overdrive it will start shuddering and you really have to mash the gas for it to down shift and it shifts hard down to the lower gear, but it stops shuddering immediately. Fluid was changed at 64k and they added BG stuff to it at dealer. Its shifts fine for the first 15 20 miles then it starts acting up.

I have called a trusted tranny shop around here but just havent had a chance to get it there yet.

It is slowly getting worse though.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

This is our main vehicle and it is bothering me pretty bad. Really cant afford to trade now and there is no other SUV the wife likes. I hope it is something simple but I just dont know.

Thanks

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

how sure are you about no fluid mixing?
internal transmission cooler by-passed?

PC05

Postby PC05 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 pm

eieio wrote:how sure are you about no fluid mixing?

Tranny guy looked at it in september said he couldnt be 100% without dropping the pan, but by looking at the dipstick, he felt confident that it was not mixed. IT has since gotten worse since then though.

Doing bypass soon but I need a good picture to do it and I havent located one yet.

That is IF the fluids havent mixed yet.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:17 pm

PC05 wrote:

Tranny guy looked at it in september said he couldnt be 100% without dropping the pan, but by looking at the dipstick, he felt confident that it was not mixed. IT has since gotten worse since then though.

Doing bypass soon but I need a good picture to do it and I havent located one yet.

no need to drop the pan to inspect for fluid contamination
fluid can be inspected during the 45 minutes it takes to do the by-pass
pictures & diagrams are all over the place............
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=bypass
read the thread - there is a by-pass diagram on page 8
hope it's not too late for you....................

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:58 am

PC05 wrote:

PC..have you pulled the stick and check trans fluid level?

Bypass is simple to do..takes more time to remove the skid plate than to do the bypass. Here is how I did mine:

you will see 2 hoses going into the bottom of the radiator. I simply pulled the hoses off and joined them withi a barbed connector. Where the hoses went into the radiator, I used rubber vaccum caps and a hose clamp to seal off. I didnt have much fluid leak out as I used a couple pairs of hose clamps. I would try to use about 20lbs or less of compressed air to blow out any ATF in the rad cooler. Be sure to check your ATF level when the engine is warm and trans is in neutral.

No trouble so far with mine.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:46 am

Fluid level is good, if it has mixed then it is still under the 80k so nissan will fix it.

Im just trying to determine if its not the mixing issue what it could be.

Thanks

martyf250

Postby martyf250 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 am

you will see 2 hoses going into the bottom of the radiator. I simply pulled the hoses off and joined them withi a barbed connector. Where the hoses went into the radiator, I used rubber vaccum caps and a hose clamp to seal off. I didnt have much fluid leak out as I used a couple pairs of hose clamps. I would try to use about 20lbs or less of compressed air to blow out any ATF in the rad cooler. Be sure to check your ATF level when the engine is warm and trans is in neutral.

No trouble so far with mine.[/quote]

.....if you bypassed the radiator which is cooling the tranny fruid...how is it now getting cooled? seems simple enough but please explain

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 am

martyf250 wrote:you will see 2 hoses going into the bottom of the radiator. I simply pulled the hoses off and joined them withi a barbed connector. Where the hoses went into the radiator, I used rubber vaccum caps and a hose clamp to seal off. I didnt have much fluid leak out as I used a couple pairs of hose clamps. I would try to use about 20lbs or less of compressed air to blow out any ATF in the rad cooler. Be sure to check your ATF level when the engine is warm and trans is in neutral.

No trouble so far with mine.

.....if you bypassed the radiator which is cooling the tranny fruid...how is it now getting cooled? seems simple enough but please explain[/quote]

it has an external transmission cooler in front of the ac condenser

martyf250

Postby martyf250 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am

so it would still be cooled through that...why even have it going through the radiator to begin with? extra cooling I guess. I nee to look into this bypass as i have an 05 with 75K

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 am

martyf250 wrote:so it would still be cooled through that...why even have it going through the radiator to begin with? extra cooling I guess. I nee to look into this bypass as i have an 05 with 75K
Marty

I definately would look into it. I am no mechanic, but it was easy to do.

I live in GA, dont tow anything, so I should be ok.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:10 am

I do tow, and haven't ever had a problem with my by-passed setup.

t

PC05

Postby PC05 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Anybody else have any ideas? Sensor, TCM? Just throwing out stuff.

thanks

novaman

Postby novaman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Hey guys what years should you bypass on???? I have a 2008 does it have this problem?? Should I do the bypass or is this something that was fixed by this year???

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”