Timing Chain Show claim DENIED

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

martyf250

Timing Chain Show claim DENIED

Postby martyf250 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:25 pm

What ashame,

Just heard back from the regional rep and they will not cover the timing chain shoes. 2005 with 76000mi. Unfortunately they are losing a customer and now wish my dad who just bought a new Frontier 2 weeks ago did not. I will send a letter to consumer affairs and go from there. I can't believe they have know they have a design flaw and don't stand behind it. Nothing should ever go wrong with timing chain parts over the life of newer vehicles. I can understand issues that would be general maintenance or parts that can be abused but this is a different story.

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 pm

I agree with your statement. If they are unwilling to consider a claim, even good will I fully understand your sentiment on leaving the brand.

I would have thought that a non service part like a timing chain should be expected to last the duration of the engine - whatever that norm is determined as.

It is as you say, not as if you could over load or abuse this part.

Don't let it go, but then again don't let it consume every day of your life.

I hope that you are successful in your appeal to CS.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:06 pm

I can understand how disappointed you must be. Just got back from the dealer spark plug replacement and knew it would not be cheap ($300 bill to replace 6 - $12 plugs. I remember the days when you got all the plugs for $12 and changed them yourself). Had it done a few miles early while in for a belt and a “newer” designed tensioner that Nissan came out with. The aftermarket belt/tensioner was only a yr old.

After I did what I thought was a thorough internet research, I bought a 2006 2 yr ago. Then I found this site and some others and then seriously questioned my decision. Some here tried to calm my anxiety by mentioning the problems other mfg are encountering in major ways. Over on the Xterra sites, they remind others of the problems similar type vehicles encounter. Ford today just had a recall of 100K Fusions, and the list goes on. It’s amazing the problems I had with my Tahoe and yet took it in stride as acceptable (repairs nearly equaled the used purchase price), yet we don’t give Nissan a break. Is it the stressful, tough times? I have come to the conclusion that if it quits on the road, just call AAA and expect to pay a lot no matter what brand. At least the PF is not like the infamous Yugo.

Today’s engines do last longer than the one’s years ago, but for extra insurance I add MotorKote every couple oil changes. Not sure that as the second owner I caught the wear in time to save my guides, but I sure hope so.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:25 am

CPLTECH wrote:I can understand how disappointed you must be. Just got back from the dealer spark plug replacement and knew it would not be cheap ($300 bill to replace 6 - $12 plugs. I remember the days when you got all the plugs for $12 and changed them yourself).
Sooo....I have to ask...what was stopping you from doing it yourself? I'm not a mechanic...but I paid about $7 each for mine at an auto parts store and did them myself. Honestly....the only difference in the good old days...and today...might be your willingness to bang your knuckles under the hood for awhile.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:34 am

amr40509 wrote: Honestly....the only difference in the good old days...and today...might be your willingness to bang your knuckles under the hood for awhile.
Age related. Let’s just say I look better than I feel.
On top of that, some have described the patience required to do the multiple steps and possible breakage. So I left it for a dealer to do instead of myself or a local mechanic that would do it for a few dollars less. I think all mfg’s engineer these things to weed out the shade tree mechanic. Ford just came out with an optional 3.5L ECO motor for the entire F150 line that gets great MPG. I can just imagine the complexity of that power plant!

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 am

CPLTECH wrote:
amr40509 wrote: Honestly....the only difference in the good old days...and today...might be your willingness to bang your knuckles under the hood for awhile.
On top of that, some have described the patience required to do the multiple steps and possible breakage. So I left it for a dealer to do instead of myself or a local mechanic that would do it for a few dollars less. I think all mfg’s engineer these things to weed out the shade tree mechanic. Ford just came out with an optional 3.5L ECO motor for the entire F150 line that gets great MPG. I can just imagine the complexity of that power plant!
I 100% agree. There is a TON of money made by service departments, and the engineers have to consider that. Like you, I am making the transition to having "the shop" do more of my work because the complication isn't always worth it to me.

I did take on the plugs, but honestly that was about a month after my son was born...I NEEDED to go hang out in the garage for a couple of hours that night! I it was about a 4 beer job, and some great therapy :)

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am

amr40509 wrote:
CPLTECH wrote:
I 100% agree. There is a TON of money made by service departments, and the engineers have to consider that. Like you, I am making the transition to having "the shop" do more of my work because the complication isn't always worth it to me.

I did take on the plugs, but honestly that was about a month after my son was born...I NEEDED to go hang out in the garage for a couple of hours that night! I it was about a 4 beer job, and some great therapy :)
:D I love how you gauge the job on the number of beers consumed! I have an 06' Path and I am dreading the spark plug replacement coming up soon.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”