Timing Chain Shoes or Guides???

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

aadadams

Timing Chain Shoes or Guides???

Postby aadadams » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 am

I was getting a squeal on start until warm. It wasn't my serpentine belt, so I assumed it was the timing chain issue mentioned here. I had a death in my family and traveled 2700+ miles round trip and now the sound is gone. It doesn't happen on start, when cold or hot, it's simply gone.

QUESTIONS:
Are the shoes/guides functioning properly, but because they are making noise people replace them?

Is it possible to diagnose bad shoes/guides without the noise?

What's the worst that could happen here?

In the interim, I've not noticed any timing related issues or fuel consumption changes. I'd hate to have the dealer tear open my engine for a diagnosis to solve a nuisance issue that may have self resolved. But, at the same time, I don't want to have to replace the engine due to ignoring it either. I'm due in for my scheduled oil change this week... Maybe I'll mention it to the tech...

All comments welcomed!
Last edited by aadadams on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npath

Re: Timing Chain Shoes or Guides

Postby Npath » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

It's probably not the chain, tensioner guide problem you think you have. If it were, the whining would never go away, you'll hear it @ some point during the drive.

I don't think much damage would be done as the oil filter will trap the shavings, if it is the problem.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I must admit, hearing that is comforting. Though my serpentine belt and tensioner were eliminated as a possible causes when they were replaced.

I got the noise at cold start until warm for about a two months or so as I prepared to swallow the repair bill. When the death in family occurred, I had no choice but to drive it down to Louisiana. By the time I got there the engine made the noise incessantly while the engine was running warm or cold. About 700 miles into the return trip the noise stopped... and I've not heard it make the noise again. Not even a whimper...

I said all of that to say that I was reasonably sure that it was the timing chain issue, but hey I'm content to leave well enough alone... :)

Thanks for replying!

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:05 am

Bumping for more feedback...

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:23 am

Just keep monitoring for any noises. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't hear anything abnormal. Since you described the noise as a squeal that seems to point to the serpentine belt, tensioner, or pulleys. When the timing chain shoes go bad, the noise is more of a whine. At least that's my experience. How many miles on your pathfinder?

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 pm

94K+ on the clock... Seems that keeping my ears open is the best/only plausible action for now. Thanks for replying.

BTW, having listened to and described car noises for years... My squeal may be equal to John Doe's whine... LOL!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”