05 Pathfinder - no heat when engine idles

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jeffgprice

05 Pathfinder - no heat when engine idles

Postby jeffgprice » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:42 pm

05 Pathfinder LE, when I start it up in the morning and let it idle to warmup the cabin (heat turned to 90, third fan setting), there is no heat coming through any of the front vents. When I drive, the heat comes through the front vents.
If I stop at a red light, the heat stops and blows cool to cold air. Start driving again, heat starts blowing again.

Any ideas?

PS. I just found this post and will check these tomorrw morning.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... light=heat

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 am

Have you checked your coolant level? If that is fine, maybe check the thermostat?

webmastir

Re: 05 Pathfinder - no heat when engine idles

Postby webmastir » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:51 am

jeffgprice wrote:05 Pathfinder LE, when I start it up in the morning and let it idle to warmup the cabin (heat turned to 90, third fan setting), there is no heat coming through any of the front vents. When I drive, the heat comes through the front vents.
If I stop at a red light, the heat stops and blows cool to cold air. Start driving again, heat starts blowing again.

Any ideas?

PS. I just found this post and will check these tomorrw morning.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... light=heat
let us know what ends up fixing your issue. my wife is having same problem on her 06. as far as i can tell, she just needs to have her coolant repressurized

jeffgprice

Postby jeffgprice » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks for the reply, I have checked the radiator and the tank when the engine is cold. The radiator appears to be full and still green. The expansion tank is tougher to see but it appears to be right at the minimum level line. I will inquire from the shop if they can add a little to move it up above the minimum line.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:52 am

It sounds like a coolant level or faulty radiator cap.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:29 pm

jeff,
the trouble could be all three, them, fliud leve. and weak cap...
where is the temp gauge sitting at idle? Is it cooler than normal?
good luck...

Rider

Postby Rider » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 am

Any updates on this one? My wife just told me she was experiencing the same thing on her '07. I checked the coolant level and both main and expansion reservoirs are full and above minimum. My guess is the thermostat.

Rider

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 am

Rider wrote:Any updates on this one? My wife just told me she was experiencing the same thing on her '07. I checked the coolant level and both main and expansion reservoirs are full and above minimum. My guess is the thermostat.

Rider
there may be a pocket of air trapped in the system preventing coolant flow, even though the levels check OK

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:27 am

eieio wrote:there may be a pocket of air trapped in the system preventing coolant flow, even though the levels check OK
^agreed. this is my exact issue. really gotta get this fixed so the wife stops naggin me about it :wink:

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:33 am

webmastir wrote:
eieio wrote:there may be a pocket of air trapped in the system preventing coolant flow, even though the levels check OK
^agreed. this is my exact issue. really gotta get this fixed so the wife stops naggin me about it :wink:
it's easy to do............

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:47 am

Saw a video on thenewx a few weeks ago, but it looked like it was quite the chore. I'll see if I can find it again & re-check it out

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

i am having the same problem right now. I opened the radiator, to run it and try to let the air pocket out, so I started it and when it started the Anti-freeze started to over flow.. :(

Also the temp gauge always shows it cooler than average... so the needle is always pointed less then half on the gauge.

TnLoneWolf

Postby TnLoneWolf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Guys, don't open the radiator cap, just be sure the overflow tank is filled correctly. All closed system (any modern auto) breathes through that overflow jug. The highest point of any system is where the air should want to travel. I would think that would be the cap on the reservoir. Are the jugs filled at little high? They should be if you are trying to evacuate air. Over fill the tank and check it every day and monitor and see how much it's fallen it should self correct, if not I'd say there's a thermostat issue not a water level issue. Good luck everyone!

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:12 am

thanks wolf for your info. I will try that and if no good then i will replace the thermo..

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:57 am

TnLoneWolf wrote:The highest point of any system is where the air should want to travel. I would think that would be the cap on the reservoir.
Unless you have a leak, say like in the rear lines as some have posted.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”