R51 Crawler Gears & Front Locker

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gumby

Postby Gumby » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a 2007 R51 2.5 litre turbo diesel which has been extensively enhanced; live in Australia.

The two things still missing are crawler gears and a front locker. The front locker may not be possible in a Pathfinder because of the all mode system they use. I've just about exhausted options here in Oz but was wondering if there were solutions for these available in the USA or elsewhere. Can anyone help?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Have you checked out 4x4parts.com? I'm not sure what shipping to Australia would cost. From what I've seen, there is very little aftermarket support for late model pathfinders as far as gears and lockers. You best option might be an axle swap to give you more options as well as strength. What gear ratios are you looking for? What have you done so far to your truck? Pics would be awesome!

Gumby

R51 Crawler Gears and Front Locker

Postby Gumby » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi deermjd. Thanks for replying. I haven't determined the ratios I need as yet. Was hoping I could get some leads from someone who has already done it.

As for my Truck; It is in the workshop over Christmas so I will wait to get the work finished before posting pics. It is getting all the roof bar work redone to install a 44" LED Light bar, Flat cage. Highlift Jack and Shovel Holder as well as a Storage Box for the Chainsaw, Recovery Gear and Generator. I also carry a set of Max Trax up top as well.

It is a pretty good set up now really but as you travel you get ideas and have experiences that allow you to improve the setup. It usually has a 7x4 Custom Camper Trailer in tow when we get out of town.

The Truck itself has a Steel Opposite Lock Bullbar (previously had an alloy bar but bent it when I hit a Kangaroo late at night) with Lightforce XGT HID Spotlights and a 12000 pound winch with laser rope and remote control. Two heavy duty recovery points up front as well with a bash plate for the sump. It has a roll out awning on the drivers side for shade or to keep the dew off when I'm camping without the family.

Suspension wise it has a Tough Dog suspension lift with 10 point adjustable Tough Dog shocks and poly airbags in the rear. We are sourcing a 4" lift kit from the USA but it won't be here for a few months yet.

It has a rear ARB Locker with the compressor installed under the middle row of seats. We will be running air lines to the front and rear of the truck in the near future for airing up and down tyres. It is shod with 17' Mickey Thompson MTZ's.

The motor has been chipped for a claimed 30% increase in power and up to 8% better economy but I haven't had it measured. It needs a custom exhaust as the current one is too restrictive but with my model you have to be careful as it has a number of engine sensors that have to be disconnected as well as the particulate filter being removed. Hope to have that done in the next month or so. It also has a 2 micron fuel filter installed that is claimed to be able to filter water out before it hits the combustion chamber. This is critical when travelling remotely in the outback as there is often contaminated fuel issues. It has a Safari snorkel fitted that is essential to prevent hydraulic lock in the diesel in deep water crossings.

Inside up front the radio/6stacker CD player has been replaced with a combined touch screen unit out of China that has a GPS Navigator, CD/DVD/iPod/Rear Camera setup. A UHF Radio is installed in the center dash and a CB Radio is in the center console.

There will be a 3 gauge instrument pod when it arrives for the dual batteries, transmission oil temp and engine oil temperature. Have a engine alarm that measures the block temperature ready to install. There is the trailer electric brake controller installed in the dash to the left of the wheel. Being a Ti she has climate control air and a roof mounted DVD in the back, Leather seats and all the Ti specs.

At the back she has a dual wheel carrier with recovery points and underneath we've installed a 110 litre long range fuel tank so she has a total capacity of 190 litres fully fueled up. Inside at the rear she has custom carpeted shelving installed, a cargo barrier and a 60 litre WAECO Fridge/Freezer on a fridge slide. Also runs a dual battery setup with a deep cycle battery in the rear with the fridge. Also has a fire extinguisher and fire blanket.

To protect the door sills we have installed custom rock sliders with aluminium checkerplate to stand on. She also runs a rubber skirt at the rear to prevent stone throw onto the trailer and protect the back of the truck.

The trailer runs on a Treg hitch and also has its own deep cycle battery to run an 80 litre WAECO Fridge/Freezer. This is topped up by two portable solar panels. It has an 80 litre water tank, multiple aluminium checkerplate storage boxes, a 2 metre slide out kitchen with a two burner gas stove and a stainless steel sink, fire extinguisher and fire blanket. We will be installing a hot water system; just haven't decided which way to go as yet. There are a couple of options.

The tent is a CIG 12 Camper Top, sleeps 4 comfortably without the annexe but also has an attachable extra bedroom. Annexe and extra bedroom are fully floored and sealed.

It is sprung with heavy duty leaf springs on a live axel rather than independent coil spring set up. Easier to repair and get parts for if anything breaks. Its fitted with electric brakes.

She is a terrific truck/trailer setup and if you know Australian geography or want to check it out, she has taken us to Cape York, Fraser Island, Lake Eyre, the Kimberley, Kakadu, Flinders Ranges, the Victorian Alps and countless National Parks. here are a couple of pics from our trip to the Victorian Alps. Hope you enjoy.

Vic High Country #15.jpg
Vic High Country p.jpg
Last edited by Gumby on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gumby

Postby Gumby » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry the Pics didn't work. Not sure how to include them? Let me know.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:16 am

The best way to post pictures is to upload them to a website such as photobucket and then copy and paste a link when you post on the forum here.

Gumby

R51 Crawler Gears and Front Locker

Postby Gumby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 am

Here is the link to an album I set up on photobucket.

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/OldGumby/

As you can see she has changed over time, alloy bar to steel and so on. We are also on our second Camper Trailer. We broke the suspension mounts and buckled the frame of our original trailer on the Lake Eyre trip and a newer tougher trailer was required.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Re: R51 Crawler Gears and Front Locker

Postby Captain » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:45 am

Gumby wrote:Here is the link to an album I set up on photobucket.

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc398/OldGumby/

As you can see she has changed over time, alloy bar to steel and so on. We are also on our second Camper Trailer. We broke the suspension mounts and buckled the frame of our original trailer on the Lake Eyre trip and a newer tougher trailer was required.

WOW! :D

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am

Very nice! Good to see someone making the Pathfinder live up to its name.

Gumby

Postby Gumby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks. There are some nice shots there. I must admit we have had some fabulous experiences because we had this truck and her predecessor. My daughters have grown up knowing and understanding a world that most people their age don't even know exists. We had some beautiful photos of the Cape York trip in 2007 but my daughter was much younger and more impetuous back then and accidentally deleted the lot after we got home. Learnt the lesson of backing up as you go from that experience, however it has given me the perfect excuse to go back in the future so I can get those photos.

Though the truck has been heavily modified over time the basic unit is a much more capable truck than most give it credit for. Most detractors comment out of ignorance and puffed up testosterone induced ego's.

The new V6 diesel that was released here in the last model is a thundering 170+ kilowatts of grunt and leaves the Prado, Pajero, Jeep, Landrovers floundering. The independent suspension all round doesn't articulate as well as the live axels of the Landcruiser, Prado or Patrol but I can honestly say that properly set up without great expense and driven properly it will take you anywhere you want to go.

My wife and her friends have named the Pathy "Priscilla" after the movie "Pricilla, Queen of the Desert"! Apparently this was because : She hangs out in the desert, has fake boobs, wears a skirt, but really has balls underneath". Not sure if you've seen the movie but it is an iconic Australian movie that was released worldwide to some acclaim.

As for repairs and part replacements, we have done the following;

Rear left and front right wheel bearing assemblies. After the second failure we replaced the final two as a precaution. They are a sealed unit which in my view is not the best design for extended outback use as the seals are prone to failure. Once the water and grit gets in they fail quickly but they cannot be inspected or serviced on the vehicle. We replaced ours at around the 140,000 kms mark.

The alternator went at about 130,000 kms mark. It has a strange clutch/bearing system on the belt guide wheel that allows it to freewheel if it goes backwards (reason this is needed is not apparent to anyone I know) and this bearing failed and was just freewheeling without turning the alternator. The alternator itself was fine but the whole assembly had to be replaced because of the way it is made.

Brake pad wear has been heavy throughout the life of the vehicle but I put this down to the fact that it is travelling in the dirt, mud and water so often.

On the Kimberley Trip the severe corrugations loosened the bolts securing the exhaust to the dump pipe and we experienced power loss at high revs. This was not correctly diagnosed until we returned home and my mechanic got to look at it. It had been diagnosed as a cracked manifold or blown manifold gaskets but we couldn't get the parts in the outback for 6 weeks so we drove it home. Turned out to be a good thing really as they wanted to pull the thing apart.

The diff seals were also replaced at 150,000 kms. The original shocks failed at 30,000 kms and were replaced but failed again just shy of 70,000 kms. We put our first set of Tough Dogs on at at that time and they lasted until we returned from the Kimberley with 165,000 kms on the clock. We are now on our second set. Our last set of Mickey Thompson ATZ's clocked 70,000 kms before we put the Mickey Thompson MTZ's onto her.

Other than that and considering the amount of work she has done I am delighted with her. I consider the repairs I've done fair wear and tear.
Last edited by Gumby on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for posting a link to your pictures. Looks like you sure have tested your pathfinder. 2 questions:

1) What lift if any did you install on your pathfinder?

2) What front bumper did you buy? It looks really good on your pathfinder.

Gumby

R 51 Crawler Gears & Front locker

Postby Gumby » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

The front bar was supplied and fitted by Opposite Lock here in Brookvale, Sydney. It is their own brand I believe.

The lift was achieved by fitting the Tough Dog suspension kit; springs & shocks. It is about 50mm so isn't extreme. The shocks are also adjustable with 10 seperate settings and are great onnroad or offroad. We coupled this with Poly Airbags in the rear. In normal circumstances we run these at 5 psi but when loaded and/or towing the trailer we run them at 30 psi. There are kevlar sleeves that you can put on the airbags that allow you to run them at 60 psi and I will probably fit these when we do the lift again.

As I said we are looking at a 4" lift that my mechanic has found in the USA somewhere that doesn't require modifying the drive shafts etc.

Here is a link to my mate/mechanic in Sydney; He might be able to give you some info as to where you can get it. His name is Ian. He is on a trip to the Victorian High Country himself at the moment and will reopen on January 3rd. Show him a picture of my car in your email if you contact him; he will know who put you in touch.

[email protected]

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”