Another R51 transmission fell victim

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

curvecrazy

Postby curvecrazy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 pm

excalibur23 wrote:
mrguy19 wrote:Sorry to hear that buddy..... did you ever do the bypass?
yep had the bypass done 10k miles ago, but i guess damage was already done.

How is it possible that you have coolant in your tranny if you did the bypass?????????? The two are no longer intermingled at that point in time as far as I know........... Yes? No?? If you had the issue before and damage was done as you put it, seems me you would have seen coolant in your fluid 10k miles ago which I am quite sure you did check without a doubt when you were doing the bypass worried as I was to find traces of coolant in your tranny fluid.

skwerl

Postby skwerl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 am

curvecrazy wrote:
excalibur23 wrote:
mrguy19 wrote:Sorry to hear that buddy..... did you ever do the bypass?
yep had the bypass done 10k miles ago, but i guess damage was already done.

How is it possible that you have coolant in your tranny if you did the bypass?????????? The two are no longer intermingled at that point in time as far as I know........... Yes? No?? If you had the issue before and damage was done as you put it, seems me you would have seen coolant in your fluid 10k miles ago which I am quite sure you did check without a doubt when you were doing the bypass worried as I was to find traces of coolant in your tranny fluid.
It's possible that he didn't do a complete flush if he did the fluid change himself. I think it would be pretty hard for the average guy to do a flush or a tranny shop may have told him they were changing it but only draining and refilling which could leave traces of coolant. I'm just speculating though.

Edit to the OP:
Be sure to press Nissan for a good faith credit toward the repair. They told me they take into consideration how many Nissans you've owned in the past and how often you've had it serviced at a Nissan dealer. Regardless of whether you have or not, I'd still be firm and persistent with them.

FindyourPath

Postby FindyourPath » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 am

i am having trouble explaining this issue to my nissan service guy.

is this the simplified version?

the short version is pull the trans fluid intake and output from the radiator and "splice" them together outside the radiator.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:36 am

FindyourPath wrote:i am having trouble explaining this issue to my nissan service guy.

is this the simplified version?

the short version is pull the trans fluid intake and output from the radiator and "splice" them together outside the radiator.
That's exactly right.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”