CAT problems and Fuel level sensor...among other things

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

digs5567

CAT problems and Fuel level sensor...among other things

Postby digs5567 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

I tripped a P2A03 and P0420 code and these are probably telling me that one of the CATs need replaced...I know there are three CATs on our vehicles has anyone tried to boar out or completely remove one of them and then baffle the o2 sensor? I have replaced the CAT by the manifold already and it looked like one of the 2 other CATs had been replaced by a previous owner...I just really can't afford to put more money into my Pathy...had it 3 months and already dropped at least $3000.00 on repairs.

I also have a P0463 code tripping which is a Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High Input...anyone know anything about this?
Last edited by digs5567 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 am

I would not suggest gutting or removing the cats. I know they are ridiculously expensive from the dealer but I believe that auto part stores like Advance have them for much much less.

About the P0463 code, it means the fuel level sensor in the gas tank is bad. Nissan sells this sensor separately from the fuel pump assembly for about $100. However, if you go through the trouble to drop the tank and replace the sensor you might as well replace the fuel pump too. This sensor has been recalled or given an extended warranty by Nissan. Give your local dealer your Vin # to see if your vehicle is covered. I was fully reimbursed for the parts I purchased.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. What has been replaced so far that would cost 3k? What year and mileage is your Pathfinder?

ZtotheX

Postby ZtotheX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 am

Magnaflow high-flow cats.

ramseyspath

Postby ramseyspath » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm

i feel your pain digs!!! we haven't even had our used 2005 Path a year yet and already been dropping serious cash to repair stuff ..... big items were the CATs!!! it seems like the more i read about the CAT issue NIssan would stand up and recall these pieces of crap!! ive got an 01 F150 w/210,000 on it and never had this issue, nor have i ever heard of ppl having to replace CATs because they go bad! also just had the u-joints replaced last week and now they are saying our motor/transmission mounts need to be replaced!!! dam its been one thing after another with this Path with 105,000 miles! again ive got a 01 F150 with 210,000 and never had anything but your minor things done

digs5567

Postby digs5567 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 am

Yeah it's been hard and makes me wonder if I should cut my losses and sell the thing. I have a 2006 that has 104,000 miles on it and in the 3 months that I've owned it I have had to:
- Replace tire pressure sensors (now the light is back on)
- Replace EVAP control valve
- Replace EVAP canister
- Replace the CAT near the manifold (now one below is bad)
- Replace the rear control arms and spring supports because when I saw how the old tires (replaced those too) had been wearing you could tell the alignment was severely off. Turned out that the tow and the camber were off in the rear but the bolts and bushings were so seized that it all had to be replaced
- Radio antenna doesn't work (haven't gotten around to fixing that)
- and now after everything I thought was fixed SES light came back on and I have 3 new codes: P2A03, P0420, and P0463

I really do love the pathfinder and the way it drives and is styled and all that but every time I get behind the wheel I fear what's going to go wrong next and I am a pastor with a 9 month old child and I just can't afford to put any more money into this vehicle...I'm just waiting for the transmission or something major to go (did the bypass the week i bought it).

Also, this P0463 Code about the fuel level sensor...I'm not having any issue with the gas gauge that I am noticing. Any thoughts on that? What have others experienced as they have tripped this code?

I appreciate this forum...it has helped me tremendously! I also have a SpecV Sentra and that forum is good, but not even close to as helpful as the people here! Thanks everyone!

skwerl

Postby skwerl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:02 pm

digs5567 wrote:Yeah it's been hard and makes me wonder if I should cut my losses and sell the thing. I have a 2006 that has 104,000 miles on it and in the 3 months that I've owned it I have had to:
- Replace tire pressure sensors (now the light is back on)
- Replace EVAP control valve
- Replace EVAP canister
- Replace the CAT near the manifold (now one below is bad)
- Replace the rear control arms and spring supports because when I saw how the old tires (replaced those too) had been wearing you could tell the alignment was severely off. Turned out that the tow and the camber were off in the rear but the bolts and bushings were so seized that it all had to be replaced
- Radio antenna doesn't work (haven't gotten around to fixing that)
- and now after everything I thought was fixed SES light came back on and I have 3 new codes: P2A03, P0420, and P0463

I really do love the pathfinder and the way it drives and is styled and all that but every time I get behind the wheel I fear what's going to go wrong next and I am a pastor with a 9 month old child and I just can't afford to put any more money into this vehicle...I'm just waiting for the transmission or something major to go (did the bypass the week i bought it).

Also, this P0463 Code about the fuel level sensor...I'm not having any issue with the gas gauge that I am noticing. Any thoughts on that? What have others experienced as they have tripped this code?

I appreciate this forum...it has helped me tremendously! I also have a SpecV Sentra and that forum is good, but not even close to as helpful as the people here! Thanks everyone!
The fuel sender code could trip without you having major problems with the gas gauge--YET. Mine tripped and the first thing I noticed was the DTE range would drop off to --- at about 1/4 tank then I think it stopped working totally. My gauge at first would just take a little longer to show full. Then it would take longer and longer and sometimes would drop to empty right after a fill up. Then a few starts later it would show the right reading again.

It would have spurts where it would seem to work fine again but go back to acting weird at other times. Worst was when it actually showed above 1/4 tank and then a few miles later the gauge dropped off and I ran out of gas. If I had it to do over again, I would've replaced it as soon as the code tripped. It's not worth running out of gas, especially if you live in a rural area like me and have to ask for a ride or walk several miles. It isn't that hard of a job. It took me and another guy a half day to replace it. I used this how-to. It says it's for the Frontier but it's exactly the same on an R51.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/ ... post534984

Just make sure you only have about 1/4 tank or less because you have to drop the tank and maneuver it quite a bit.

One catch we had can be seen in this picture in the area circled.

For some reason, I don't know if one of us removed it and needed to or not but the hose (inside stiff conduit) was snapped out of that recess. You can see the rust in his photo near the recess that I have circled and the rust is from metal that sits snugly against the tank. When we bolted the tank back up we didn't snap the hose back down into the area and the metal pinched the hose off. We drove to the gas station to tank up and it would only take fuel very slowly without the overfill catch on the gas nozzle constantly stopping. The gauge worked flawlessly though. I knew there had to be something wrong with a vent hose somewhere and that's exactly what had happened when we got back and peeked up in there. We had to drop the tank again far enough to snap the conduit back into the recess in the gas tank. It was a real bitch to snap back in there without taking the whole tank out again so that's why I suggest not removing it unless necessary and make sure it's in tight before you raise the tank back up.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”