Trans brake switch.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

i-man

Trans brake switch.

Postby i-man » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:13 am

Not sure if that it what it is called, but it is the switch that will not let me shift out of park until my foot is on the brake. It is working fine, but I just changed the front brakes on my 08 Path. Simple enough. When I got in to move it afterwards, there is an audible click when I press the brake pedal that wasn't there before. I can feel it in the shifter. Any ideas what may be causing it, and should I be concerned? Thanks for any and all replies.

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:30 am

I don't have the solution but I have the same issue. Mine started when I went through the interior fuse box looking for a burnt one due to a trailer light issue. I had removed all the fuses one by one near the glove box. After doing so, a few strange things happened:
1. The light to indicate the truck was slipping was on
2. The brake pedal causes a click in the transmission when the stick is placed in Park.

After driving around the parking lot, the slipping light went out. Phew. But the clicking in the shift stick area is still there when placed in park.

While this is not a solution by any means, I think it might have a link to the electrical system. Would pulling the Long Term Storage fuse do something to effect brake use? Thanks again.

J

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:29 pm

The "shift interlock" system is what prevents one from shifting out of "PARK" unless the brake pedal is depressed. The shift interlock solenoid is at the bottom of the shifter and releases the lock on the shifter when the brake pedal is depressed. The "click" is normal and I wouldn't worry about it. Why the noise is more noticeable now, I cannot say.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”