Spark Plug change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

AZRoushStang

Spark Plug change

Postby AZRoushStang » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Anyone changed the spark plugs on their Pathy yet? My path was running a little rough so I tried to pull them to check them out. Got one out without a problem. But the second one didn't want to budge. I didn't want to torque too much on it because I didn't want to break it. My Mustang has a known issue to cause broken plugs because of a two piece design that Ford uses. I didn't know if Nissan did the same thing or if it was okay to give it a little extra umph?

BTW, what is with Nissan basically burying access to the damn plugs...only two are easily accessible...

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:27 am

I haven't gotten to the point of changing the plugs yet. They probably just torque'd it a little too hard. I look into what I had to do, but we still have fairly low miles on the truck and it's not running bad yet.

On my Saab it's about the same procedure, pull the stupid plastic cover off, then unbolt the coils and pull out the plug. The only thing I worry about is the wires to the coils. They just seem dainty.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am

The plugs should just be normal platinum tipped NGKs. Maybe warm the truck up first and then try it again?

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Haven't had the need to change mine yet (and won't for quite some time). If you're gonna do this yourself, make sure you use a little anti-seize compound on the threads of the new plugs so that they break loose easier next time around. Personally, I would rather pay the dealer to change 'em. It might be pricey that way, but any plug/coil pack/engine head issues would then be their responsibility, not mine. 8) I've cross-threaded a couple of plugs in my lifetime. Trust me, aluminum heads and cross-threaded plugs are an exceedingly ugly combination!

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:41 pm

wouldve been nice thogh down that st from the dam
Maint and Dealer says they should be good for 100k miles. I wouldn't bother with em. Hows your battery, what year do you have?
I have an 05, and my new Optima Redtop should arrive Wed-ish.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 am

Sorry to hijack the thread (hey, I'm the admin! :P ), but what model Optima fits our trucks?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:47 pm

The Optima 35 fits our Paths... got mine off eBay shipped for $140 and should arrive tomorrow. I found a retailer online that charges $149, free shipping all day long (in the lower 48 ) for the red top which is the cheapest I've seen in a store.
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

DHL man brought me my present a day early... :)
10 min later...it's in, surprisingly smaller compared to stock (the terminal protector used for shipping doubles as a height adapter, pretty cool) and well she starts with less effort... The beauty of a fresh battery.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 am

RacerZX wrote:The plugs should just be normal platinum tipped NGKs.
Any need or upside to indexing the plugs? Thanks.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”